Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest TT Helmet? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest TT Helmet? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post is blank...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest TT Helmet? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The funny thing is wheels cost more than an aero helmet but to figure out what helmet will work best for you either involves windtunnel time (a lot more $$$s than wheels) or buying all the helmets and attempting field testing (still expensive and not accurate). Starts to make the wheels look cheap...

Or do what everyone else does and just buy one that makes you look fast :)

the cervelo slideslow, which seems to make sense to me, indicates that aero wheels are also dependent on what bike and or rider uses them because they are typically tested without a bike. I dont mean to be an ass but I guess my orginal question should be broader.
  1. Where would the greater time savings be, regular hemlet vs. aero, or regular wheels vs. aero wheel?
  2. Maybe wheels are a better choice because they are less , how should I say, demanding or require less skill to use?
  3. Maybe there is no answer but it is interesting to talk about.
  4. Should a person drop $200 for a helmet or buy half a share of google and save it for wheels down the road?

We're going streakin' on the quad! You can bring your green hat. Come on!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest TT Helmet? [Frankthetank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you need windtunnel time or good field testing (as Andrew Coggan explains) to figure out what will work best for you and your position on your bike as there's a lot of interaction going on. That said, and i'm sure someone clever will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, wheels are not as affected by the variables (other than yaw angles which they test across anyway) as helmets are.

The most aero wheels will generally be the fastest as long as you can handle them and your fork and tire choice doesn't clash with their characteristics.

Generally, except for one study, it is reckoned that decent wheels will save you more (time) than an aerohelmet.

If I recall correctly, there's some more stuff on the Cervelo website about time savings with wheels and aero positions.

Personally, wheels first, then helmet. Others would disagree I'm sure. Some would put a power meter ahead of both...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply

Prev Next