Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running In Las Vegas
Quote | Reply
Are there any good places to run in Las Vegas? I am saying downtown for a work Thursday -Sunday but may not have access to a rental car. Is it too busy or crowded on the city street? Safe?

Any insight would help.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Running In Las Vegas [HammerAll3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can search as there have been a few threads about this recently. If you are going to run the sidewalks (FORGET the roads), you need to get going really early (like 6am). Once the strip (for example) fills with people - there is no running. Imagine running through O'Hare airport and you get the idea :( Streets are just a grid like any newer city and easy to navigate, but crossing the main drags are very long lights and tons of traffic - again, go early. There is no "late" in Vegas.

Quote | Reply
go early up and down the strip sidewalks. I have done it dozens of times, and this time of year, you'll be good until at least 9-10 am. It's a great run, very enjoyable.

Have fun.

runfatmanrun.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run there - just get away from the strip and you're fine, especially in the am. But the best place to run is red rocks. Get a rental car, I think its about 30 minutes drive from the strip. Beautiful park - you can trail run steep canyon trails, rolling / flat desert trails or just on the road there. Past red rocks is a BLM area with MTB trails that would be good to run on too (can't remember the name of the area).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Al Vegas guy gave me this info for my last trip.

Just thought of this - Wednesday night run from Niketown inside the Forum Shops at Caesars. 6:00 pm 1 - 5 mile fully supported run!

www.lasvegasrunningteam.com

Also, if you take off from the strip west across the freeway, there are some quieter industrial type neighborhoods you can run in.

Quote | Reply
You can easily get a 45-60 minute run on the strip. Set out a little early (before 11am) and be prepared to run a little "fartlek" running combined with some stairs. I actually found it enjoyable. Not knowing the "safe regions" I ran from the Mandalay Bay to Stratosphere with a few "off strip" blocks here and there.

Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downtown as in Fremont Street? If so, it's a little sketchy down there. The Strip is fine, but a few miles from Fremont Street. If you are on Fremont, I'd say start early and run under the canopy until you get to Las Vegas Blvd. and then run towards the strip. Otherwise, I'd say skip the run in that part of town.

(Former Las Vegan here ... I used to run the strip every now and then but never ran 'downtown'.)

If you do have a car, be sure to run at Red Rocks ... really beautiful. And if you park before entering the scenic drive, you dont have to pay.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Running In Las Vegas [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, do not go North from Downtown. We were there a couple years ago and 3 of us were doing some scouting of that area on foot in prep for an urban adventure race. You know it's not a real good place when you get asked if you want to swap womens and when little kids ride up to you on bikes and ask you if you are lost, or if your car broke down, or if you need help, all in the span of 10 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there too from Thurs - Sun. Where are yoiu staying? We're at the MGM tower or something like that. I'm hoping that the strip will be okay, planning on morning workouts but that might not happen. I ran on the Champs Elysees between the curb and gutter on the side of the road and it worked pretty well. A few dipshits forced me up onto the curb but facing traffic helps spot whats coming.
Last edited by: Dave G: Feb 18, 07 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak for downtown but I ran for 30-60 min on and around the north end of the strip from Wednesday through this morning (now back in cold snowy Ohio, uggh). Like the others said, the strip is fine in the morning except for all the stoplights. Fine for an easy maintenance run. Saw a few other tourists shuffling along in full warmup suits even though it was already quite warm in the morning (compared to what I'm used to at least). A few days I ran in the afternoon when the strip was far too crowded but the sidewalks in the surrounding blocks were perfectly clear. Looked like they may be a little rough at night but in the afternoon they seemed ok.
Quote Reply