Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lock-laces or yankz?
Quote | Reply
which do you prefer?
Quote Reply
Re: lock-laces or yankz? [flashpoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simple lace locks. in fact i hardly use them and think that just a knot would be as good...yankz are a gimmick that one doesn't need...just be sure the bungee of the laces is shorter than you think you need, to eliminate the excess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm of the opposite opinion on the Yankz. I like 'em and don't consider them a gimmick at all, they work. I'll agree that I don't actually "need" them... but then again we don't actually "need" at least 3/4 of the stuff we use in order to complete a race. Some things just make it faster/easier/more fun/more comfy/etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't mention them, but I'm partial to Easy Laces. The design of the locking mechanism is such that they cannot come loose over time. If you wash your shoes in a washing machine (I put them in a mesh bag), DON'T use fabric softener, as this seems to affect the elasticity of the laces. They come in a ton of colors, too.

http://www.easy-lace.com/
Quote Reply
Re: lock-laces or yankz? [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying you tie a knot in regular laces and then use the shoes for transition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Yankz" seem to me to be a simple but poignant example of overengineering the hell out of something that ought to be so, so simple.

Lace locks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Homebrew 1/8" bungee cord with lace locks. Cheap and work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, Yankz! suck...way too complicated (and expensive) for keeping a shoe snug on your foot.

Here is my lace strategy that I use for all of my shoes...it is practical, works well and inexpensive.

Go to REI or REI.com and purchase two things:

6 feet of Shock Cord - you'll find this in the rope section

http://www.rei.com/...&vcat=REI_SEARCH

1 Package of Cord Locks - over by the backpacks

http://www.rei.com/...&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Lace up your shoes with the shock cord, stick a cord lock on the end, burn the ends.

P.S. - I also use these same materials for my swim goggles (not for racing though). It is nice because you can adjust the cord and cord lock to just the right tension. No leaking but also no headache from the rubber straps. I got this idea from the high school kids I watch every morning in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For short races I use Yankz. I like the reflective cording. I don't use the plastic doohickeys though. I just get it where I want it to fit and tie a knot.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another fan of Easy Laces. Simple, not a lot of gadgetry, and they last forever.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: lock-laces or yankz? [jackbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand exactly why they suck. They're not expensive, they didn't take much longer to lace up than regular laces and it took about 5 minutes of adjusting to get them where I wanted them... and I haven't had to touch them since. They're in the shoes I run 4 - 6 times a week in (more than that now that I'm doing Dev's challenge) and have been in them for almost 6 months and they're just as snug and comfy as when they were new. Haven't had to adjust them again since I set them up the first time.

--------------------------------------------------------------
"A bucket...if you haven't puked in it you could be going harder."
- Lazy Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a yankz fan. The elastic lace allows you to just pull on the shoes & run, great for transitions. I never need to use the slider to tighten them, the elastic snugs them enough & evenly. That said, it would seem any elastic laces would work fine & I intend to try that route next & save a net $5 or so.

Lace locks (those are the squeeze type deals, yes?)? They're faster than tieing your shoes but you still need to manipulate them when you put on your shoes thus slowing transitions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
still another vote for Easy Laces.

they've helped me along for quite a few years.

won't get new shoes without them...and they last quite a while if treated properly.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither. Add me to the list of Easy-Laces fans. Elegantly simple and effective.

Not sure why, but yankz strike me as obnoxious. Sort of like chromed spinners wheels... But I'm sure that's just me.

Roadie to Trigeek convert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote for easy laces too.

One of the things I 've thought of is that Yankz (at least to me), or any of the elastic laces, really only work for shoes with a very flexible midsole/sole. Why? If the laces give, your heel will tend to lift some inside the shoe -- blister city. So for my training shoes, I use regular laces and tie them the traditional way. For racing flats, I use Yanks (used to just use the REI string lock on regular laces).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHAT????? YOU GUYS WEAR SHOES TO RUN?
Quote Reply
Re: lock-laces or yankz? [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yankz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yankz were the only ones i could find in bright yellow

yes the plastic shit is...well, shit...so i don't use it the way they were "designed"

just tie, cut, melt the ends...done

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Last edited by: show pony: Feb 14, 07 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: lock-laces or yankz? [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
still another vote for Easy Laces.
And another - they are cheaper and easier. I use their colors to tell my many pair of shoes apart. Cant go wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easy laces for sure. Actually still use them on an old pair of leather bike shoes and they work GREAT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One side of the yankz i had broke, So i couldn't tighten up one shoe. They do seem cheap and just a normal lace lock would probably be better. I found some at Omega Sports that are some off brand tri-athlete and they seem to work well.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]