Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gordo on forums [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please define "boofhead"
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo on forums [Lo Lo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that is a pretty Kiwi term so here's the no BS explanation.

A boofhead (to me at least) is someone who is very strong physically but weak mentally. (intellectually, not emotionally)

For a pro triathlete, a boofhead could be someone that crushes the swim, hammers the bike and blows on the run, whereas if they eased back onthe bike, they could run the whole run and finish further up the ladder, possibly even podium or win! To me, this could be eqpitomized by Kieran Doe from here in NZ. DOn't get me wrong, I think he's an awesome athlete, but I do think he could be better by using his brain more.

Boofheads will do a killer workout, simply because it's on their schedule even if they are getting sick, rather than easing back a bit or skipping the workout and staying healthy. They tend to be the over-trainers in our sport. They subscribe to the "Go Hard or Go Home" philosophy.

Does that explain it?

Gordo is the opposite of a boofhead. He plans well, he reviews well and he listens to his body. I believe that although he may not be the best athlete out there, he is the best he can be.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo on forums [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boofhead= fomer swimmer... why? B/c the only thing former swimmers can recall from their chlorinated brains from swimming 60-70 miles a weeks is that we hammered every minute of it. So why not try that in all three and put it together and see where it takes us. Amazing the thought process that an athlete who has excelled at a 2-5 minute to possibly 8 minute event then extrapolates out to an endurance event lasting 4-9 hours. :)

BTW... the above would describe (the old) me. Paraenthesis there because I am still working on getting out of that mode. :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo on forums [dia_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you should mention boofheads being ex-swimmers. IN my example Kieran Doe is an ex swimmer! DOH

Also, there is a legend around these parts that he challenged Hamish Carter to a swimming race. Hamish was allowed to do freestyle but Kieran had to do backstroke! The legend is that Kieran only lost by about 30 seconds! Not sure if it's true or not, but makes a good story. I bet if he cut his dreadlocks off, it would have been a lot closer!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next