Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portland, OR Slowtwitchers
Quote | Reply
Looks like I am traveling up there M-T for the next 6 months. Give me the low down on great places to run and bike. Suggestions on pools as well, I think I found two good ones.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland, OR Slowtwitchers [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spend your $20 and get involved with OBRA... some of the best bicycle racing around!!!
http://www.obra.org/index.html

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live in PDX but I've visited family there quite a bit. Mt. Tabor (sp?) is gorgeous running with some pretty solid hills. If it's clear you can get a stunning view of Mt. Hood through, hopefully, some beautiful morning mist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terwilliger blvd is nice to run on, there are a lot of trails shooting off of it too, for trail running. Around the downtown waterfront is nice to run too.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Looks like I am traveling up there M-T for the next 6 months. Give me the low down on great places to run and bike. Suggestions on pools as well, I think I found two good ones.

Where will you be staying when here? That matters as far as what to recommend. For Cycling the Portland Wheelman Touring Club is a decent resourse for rides you can jump in to. Also search Portland Velo Club, good ride listings.

Send me a PM and I'll give you some ideas of what swim groups are good and where to ride and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to be in the city or burbs?

In the city you've got the riverfront, terwilliger, marquam trail, wildwood trail (must do, IMHO), leif ericson, washington park, and mt. tabor for places to run. Frankly you can run pretty much anywhere in the city.

If you belong to a YMCA, the metro Y has a great SCM pool. Six lanes and lap swimming available all day. Otherwise your location will determine where best to swim.

The city is very bike friendly. Lots of paths and bike lanes, but getting out of the city you can ride in the west hills and out skyline. Southwest of the city into winery areas. South of the city is some great riding through farm land. Sauvie Island for a flat, but windy ride.

In April/May the weekly bike races at Portland International Raceway will start. Open races on Monday nights and masters on Tuesday nights. You can also check out the Alpenrose Velodrome.

scott
Quote Reply
Re: Portland, OR Slowtwitchers [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If it's clear you can get a stunning view of Mt. Hood...

true, but that's a pretty big if.
;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Portland, OR Slowtwitchers [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
If it's clear you can get a stunning view of Mt. Hood...

true, but that's a pretty big if.
;-)
We haven't seen a cloud or drop of precip. for two weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Portland, OR Slowtwitchers [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. 2 whole weeks? amazing.

actually, that does seem pretty amazing for January.

I lived there ages ago - 87-91 (went to LC for undergrad) but so many of my memories involve a sky the color of the backdrop of these messages... but it's true that when it's blue it's really blue, and i saw some beautiful sunsets there. a few sunrises, too, while stumbling home from the hotcake house!
-charles
Quote Reply