Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Austin rides
Quote | Reply
Training for IMAZ is definitely getting into long ride territory. Any of the Austin folks have suggestions for a safe 17-20 mile, flatish loop or out and back? I rode 360 plenty in training for IMLP last year, but I want to train like I'll be racing this year, which means flatter. Parmer isn't bad, but doing 4-6 hours worth of laps on it is going to get old quick. If I find a ride I can do in about 2 hours, then I can top off the fluids and repeat it.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Austin rides [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D...how about out by Pflugerville or RR? I would use the loops from the Outlaw 100 ride when I trained for IMAZ and IMF. Should be on their website. let me know if you can't find them with a google search.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the loop for the Longhorn half. It's pretty flat (well, slightly rolling). From central Austin I get there by going east on Loyola.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Austin rides [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the course for the Longhorn. The map isn't published yet. How are the shoulders for it, wherever it is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The flattest route I know and use is going to New Braunsfels via San Marcos. Some of the roads are torn up now because of construction, but its still not that bad. After you go through San Marcos and do the obligatory water break by the river where the girls are laying out, follow the road through town and just head to New Braunsfels. I don't have a map in front of me, but its a straight shot.PM if you need more info.
During the week, after the AM rush, is the best time to go.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: Long Austin rides [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like some of the roads out east are relatively flat. Like the Elgin/Manor area.

Check out the Austin Cycling Club, I think they have routes posted on their site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a tentative map of the route. A list of the roads was given on Keith's forums and I made a map from that. I wouldn't say it's the official route, but it's pretty close.

Note: When your turn right on 290, don't follow the map all the way down. Turn right on Old Hwy 20 and follow that to Littig Rd.

It's about 1400 ft of climbing. I don't know if you want less than that. The Sunday that I rode it there as almost no traffic at all.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply