Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why?
Quote | Reply
I currently have a Forerunner 201, and I was thinking about upgrading to the 305. They can currently be had for $209 on the web (including a $50 mail in rebate), which is very reasonable. However, the mail in rebate to Garmin on a product that is still fairly new makes me wonder if they are planning on coming out with a newer model soon, perhaps smaller and/or really waterproof to wear during the swim.

Has anyone heard any rumors?
Does anyone want to start any?

If there seems to be no legit reason not to wait, I think that my girlfriend will be inheriting my 201 in the next couple weeks. Any info is appreciated.
Last edited by: jamiewilson3: Jan 29, 07 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [jamiewilson3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Garmin has always been one of those companies that is big on rebates so I wouldn't read too much into it. I have heard complaints from people who have gone from the older models to the newer ones that the batteries don't last long enough; besides the power issue they absolutely LOVE the newer features.

I'm with you though, I'm waiting for Garmin to come out with the ultimate device that does everything. I'm sure they have the technology; they just want to release it bit by bit to keep their revenue stream.
Last edited by: Plecostomus: Jan 29, 07 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the GPS receiver is also improved in the newer models, I was running with a person who had a 201 and I have a 305 this sunday. It was a pretty cloudy and snowy day. Mine picked the signal after 20 seconds, hers although she put it outside for 5 minutes at least could never catch the signal.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a phenomenal training aid . . . for the cost of your running shoes over 6 months. Buy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They didn't show any new watches at Interbike.

It's not THAT new, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes that happens to the 305. The trick is to turn it off, wait a moment, and turn it on - and might have to do that twice - that has always solved it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the 205 and love it. I wouldn't wait. Been out a year and is only getting great reviews.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Costco.com has the 301 on sale for $149. That is half off the asking price of just a year ago.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is tempting, but I want to get the better receiver of the 305. I have run with people who have the 205, and it does do better than my 201.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the ergonomics of the 205/305 suck. It feels heavier on my wrist than the 201/301 series. Also, they claim "faster signal acquisition time" and when I had a 205 for a week I noticed it was a lot SLOWER than my 201.

I just bought the 301 from Costco.com for $150. I've found it more reliable and solid than the new 205/305 series.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right, but my point is that (and I am sure I read somewhere) that the RF (Radio Frequency) subsystems for 305 and 301 are more sensitive than the previous model. Apparently Garmin has improved the design for the communication parts or they have used more sensitive LNA/Mixers for the input stage. The new firmware upgrade also improves the ability of the device for catching the signal in spite of gentle moves (warm up and walking). It is definitly worth the upgrade effort.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [legonis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, no doubt on the reception being improved.

The device is awesome, especially when used with Motionbased.
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [jackbauer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you buy the Forerunner 305 in the store? It does not appear to be available online at Costco.com. I will buy one today for $150.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumor has it there is a new model on the way, with a mapping feature, and that may be why they are clearing them out:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...iewtopic.php?t=26079

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too recently got a 305 and it's so much nicer than my 301.

Do have a question and just haven't gotten around to calling support about it... I was reading thru it and saw that they say it's water resistant for 30 mins up to 1 meter, but on another page, they say don't wear it swimming. Uhhh, for a short distance race, that would be 30 mins (for most, maybe not me). It's not like I strap on a BCD and octo and go for a deep dive during the swim leg...

Anyone else have a better idea on to swim or not to swim with the 305?

thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [cbpowers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't swim with it. Lots of people have wrecked them.

Water resistance ratings are always static pressure. If you're moving around (eg swimming) the actual pressure is higher. That's why cheapy digital watches with 50m water resistant on the face will die of you actually try scuba diving with them. The 305 is splashproof basically, fine to run with in the rain but mine won't be going swimming with me any time soon.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Forerunner 205 & 305 Sales Abound - Why? [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh...bummer, but good to know now. Might have done 4-6 pool swims.

So it's not an issue of the device leaking, it's a pressure issue, so me sticking it in two Ziploc bags wouldn't help the device last, right?

thanks,
Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People have done that...some have had leakage, some haven't...there have been a lot of threads on this over the past year or whatever and I read most of them before buying my 305. For what it's worth, it sounds like Garmin have been pretty good at helping out people who drowned theirs.

You might get away with swimming with it (sounds like you already have), it seems like a marginal activity given the rating of the product and the experiences of others. For me, I don't race with it, I don't want to have to afford another one and I'm not that interested in measuring swim courses so I don't risk it. Good luck if you do.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with mine doubled up in ziplocks. Never had a problem with that. My battery did just die though...good customer service should have me a new 305 tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered one(garmin 305). Been wanting one and couldn't resist that Amazon price($209)