Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hiking socks
Quote | Reply
I am going to be doing a great deal of weighted hiking next month and my current sock repitoire is not suited for this. I am looking to invest some money in my feet, buying between 15 and 30 pairs. What do you like? Why? How much are they? Where did you get them?
Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend, unless you're in the northeast, then just stay warm.
Quote Reply
Re: Hiking socks [Jeremy K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WigWam Gobi Liners or old stockings with some heavier wool socks over top work well for me. No blisters :)
IMHO, the key is getting boots that really fit. That part is not easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smartwool socks. And good hiking boots takes weeks to break in properly so you'll want to start now if you'll be buying some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several differnt styles brands, etc of these. My favorites are the Thorlo midweight for light hiking and the heavy weight for bigger loads.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lot of experience in this area, with years of service in the Army - all of it in infantry and Ranger units. I've tried Smartwool, Wigwam, Thorlo, Fox River, etc. I am convinced that the best combination of fit, comfort, and durability out there right now is the Dahlgren Hiker or Light Hiker. They are easily on par with, if not slightly ahead of, Smartwool's (also) respectable hiking socks, but tend to last a good deal longer. Dahlgren claims that it is because of the alpaca content; I don't know whether it's true, but do know that whatever the reason they are just more comfortable and durable.

So you know, I have used the Dahlgren in Afghanistan in the winter and Iraq in the summer, and found them equally comfortable at both ends of the environmental spectrum.

Hope that helps.

BH

"No reserves, no retreat, no regrets..." William Borden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tilley Endurables - wore them hiking in the western Highlands of Scotland - great thing is they dry out faster than any other sock. Nice arch support in their ribbing too. I have family in Canada - so it is easy to pick them up - but their website lists retailers.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don't need to be insulating (but do need to be wicking) I think the Thorlo medium or heavy are the best combinaiton of function and durability.

Smartwools if they also need to be warm. Smartwools are very comfortable but wear out much faster than the Thorlos.
Quote Reply