Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: Ghetto pickup truck rack (photo) [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I prefer to put bikes in the back of an Expedition. The bikes stand up and you don't have to take the front wheels off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Count me as ghetto then. I used that set-up for a couple of years before I sold my truck. Worked just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're sharing money saving tips, here is my homemade solution to an endless pool:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've been hangin' out in Cecil County too much!!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar item in the back of our truck for trips. Actually, the clamps is exactly the same, I just used some old boards that were about 24 inches wide and heavy enough to counterbalance the bike. It works fine and cost $10.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done almost the exact same thing, works great.

Write "Yakima" or "Thule" on there with a marker and nobody will know the difference ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any potential issues with large road bumps and vertical displacement of the racked bikes?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good call!
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Martin C: Jan 26, 07 9:25
Quote | Reply
I did almost the same thing, but i used a sack of fertilizer to weight it down.

I probably need the other 2 boards and turn the thing around.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built the exact same thing for my Explorer. Used a 1x10 and cut it to fit the profile behind the wheel protrusion. Covered it in a black carpet, and it looked very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Ghetto pickup truck rack (photo) [Spranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spranger - don't turn the bikes around. They're drafting the cab. That's good. I got a similiar setup. Martin, don't forget the bike lock on your BoM list. ;-)

One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Stuff that rocks: <fawning links here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine looked a lot like Sprangers before i sold the truck. However I used a piece of 2x8 pressure treated plank and screwed two sections together, very heavy, never had issues with it moving. I also bought some 1 in aluminium stock and made a couple of wheel holders. Just measured and bent it with a vice and a mallet into two flat bottom "U"s, I Dremeled some slots in the top then just drop the skewer in the slot and tighten it up. Worked great. I just tore it apart a month or two ago. haven't figured out what to do for a new setup yet but i saved all the parts.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good, way better than my single board duct-taped to the truck bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a piece of plywood about 2 foot by 4 foot. One mount on each end on opposite corners. Then I place the board across the width of the bed. This holds both bikes in front of the fifth wheel hitch. The bikes do not bounce and travel unstrapped, but will be locked if left unattended.

I use various other Ghetto methods of traveling with multiple singles / tandems / or the triplet (and at 10 feet long it is an interesting carry).

tooslow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bedliner has a built in 2x6 "pocket" that I mount the board into vertically with 3 fork mounts on them. It's out in 10 seconds if I need the full bed.
Works great.

Quote | Reply
I have my "bike board" that I used to move around to use in either my old 1st generation 4runner or my Tacoma. Anyway, you can also run a bungee cord from one of the tie downs, behind the fork or forks and then to the tie down on the other side. I also bungee the seat stay to the rear tie down and my bikes stay put.
Now I have a campershell on the Tacoma with a bed rug so I just turn the handlebars, push the bike next to the side of the bed and use one bungee to hold the bike tight. Works great.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the way we mounted ours. My husband actually just attacked them right to the truck and we also have one on the tailgate so when it's up you can actually put three bikes in the back. Super handy when bringing other bikes to races.

Lana

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done that for a long time - works great
Quote Reply