Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My new run training stress - The Hilly Run
Quote | Reply
After putting down 8 weeks of 45 mpw with easy running and some intervals, I started to plateau. My HR was way down but my comfortable pace remained the same.

During lunch a few weeks ago I ran a 6.5 mile route that has a lot of 30 to 50 foot hills (maybe 10) and finished with a 110 foot hill at 5 to 6% grade. At first it was really challenging, now it is getting much easier.

I've been doing these runs for allmost 3 weeks now and I've found that my comfortable long run pace has gotten quicker and I've been able to push my HR a little bit higher.

Has anyone else had this same experience? It sure is a nice change from running on the flats all of the time.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Running hills has always made me a stronger and faster runner. I've never done it as diligently as I should so I don't have the numbers to support it, but it's always worked for me.

----------------------------------------------------------
Existence precedes Essence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Has anyone else had this same experience?"

I came to the conclusion years ago that when training for an IM or any sort of longer distance run race, that you could almost never run too many hills in training. So I started running in hilley terrain as much as I could all the time - long runs, tempo runs, fartlek even easy runs - all in the hills.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else had this same experience? It sure is a nice change from running on the flats all of the time.

Ha ha! All I ever run are hills. This is my standard 10k course starting from my house. It is the flattest run I do from home.

To run truly flat, I go to the local high school track. It is the only time I ever feel fast.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree. I have been trail running in the foothills close to my home for a few weeks now. Couple days ago I went and did some hill repeats on a hill that I use to think was very challenging. I took that hill like never before, both stronger and faster. Hilly runs are well worth the effort.

--You can quit and they don't care but you will always know.
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes!!!

I have tried running on trails with some very steep hills but the back side of the hills were really steep and technical and beat the heck out of my quads. So much that I would take the next day off even if I ran the trails 1 min/mile slower than my long pace.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you should mention this. I am on the verge of printing my philosphy on hill training. Yes, some people have had very good results with hill training. In theory, it helps lengthen the stride. A longer stride at the same cadence = faster running.

It's also a great way to add some intensity to your training without drasticaly increasing srtess on your joints (provided the down hills are under control).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lengthing the stride, that it does seem to do for me.

The hills I've been on recently are paved trails around some residential areas so everything is smooth without big steps and drop offs. I expecially like how I can work on turnover while running downhill without the extra effort.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I wouldn't go crazy on the down hills but definitely near the bottom let yourself go and try to get the turnover really high. You should feel the heals picking up a lot higher.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all about the hills. Where I live here, there are some great hilly trails all around my house, and this winter, I've been running them 3 times a week. Just finished 90 minutes of hills and more hills. I still do a bit of road running and will do more as my first race approaches, but I'll continue to do at least 2 runs/week in the hills. Really strengthens the legs!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. Hills make you stronger....this is my weekly neighborhood loop. Disregard the pace line, I cant seem to figure out how to delete that from my charts.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are huge compared to what I've been running!!!

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaret,

Come spring time....don't schedule anything for Tuesday afternoon. You got to hit the track with us on a regular basis. It's a good group (including several tri-geeks). I think you will appreciate the workouts and the speed/strenght you will get from them. Think about it. By the way....get the new DS Trainer's yet?
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [DS Trainer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, I keep reading your notes but tuesdays aren't good for me right now but come springtime, I'll be there.

The new DS Trainers, not yet, Running Fit hasn't get theirs yet and I don't want to buy them online.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How the heck am I going to catch on the Poto at Ann Arbor this year with all of this crazy quality training you are doing now? It sounds like you are hitting though and that's pretty cool!

Bernie

Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll probably beat me out of the water :)

Running the Poto in training really beats me up though but I want to be more ready this year.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll probably beat me out of the water :)

Yeah, you and Roman. But them I'm toast! Hopefully I'll lose a couple of pounds so I won't have any extra bagage to carry around!

Bernie

Quote | Reply
damn midwest...or at least columbus ohio...i have a tough time finding the hills...

im envious...

http://cmkracing.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ever find yourself in Rochester with your running shoes & nothing else to do, here are a couple good routes:

http://www.routeslip.com/routes/17482
http://www.routeslip.com/routes/16786

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get the elevations in there?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds like pretty much any run I do from my house. Nothing huge like 5 miles at 10%, just constant 50-150 ft ups and downs. The only flat place that I regularly run is on a concrete sidewalk and while it's fast, it sure does hurt my joints the next day.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaretj,

Check out my new post if you will. Would you mind responding to it with your recent observations?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you save the route, you have to go back and open it from your main list. That's when the elevation profile appears.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm reading it correct it appears that your route takes you significantly below sea level. Where do you live?

I live in Colorado and almost all my runs are quite hilly. My standard route gains about 200 feet or so over about 2 miles. There is a trail along a creek where it is fairly level, but other than that it's hilly.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: My new run training stress - The Hilly Run [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i need to reset the altimeter on my Polar. No, I don't live below sea level...I'm in Oceanside, CA. My house is at about 300 ft.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply