Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do I cut a carbon seat post?
Quote | Reply
I have a Cervelo P3SL and feel as if I need to cut the seat post down by about an inch.

How do I do this. What kind of tools do i need?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I cut a carbon seat post? [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping my own post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll need a very fine tooth hack saw. I place masking tape around the post and sribe with a pen qround the circumference where to be cut. Wear a mask as it's my understanding that inhaling fine carbon particles is not a good thing.

It's actually a little tricky and I've only done a round tube post. The Cervelo aero post might be a little trickier still.
Quote Reply
Re: How do I cut a carbon seat post? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost forgot - I used a vise but very gently tightenned it after wrapping in cloth the part of the seat post coming in contact with the vise. Too much tightenning and you could crack the seat post.

If in doubt take it to you LBS and let them do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cut mine with a hacksaw and held it in place with the seat clamp on the work stand. Pretty easy to cut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tenance/steerer.html"

newest thing: i've been cutting my carbon steerers with my sawzall. stick the steerer in my miter block, stick my 32 teeth/inch blade into the sawzall, 0.6 seconds later a mitered steerer.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How do I cut a carbon seat post? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep
if the tool ain't got no motor ,get a new tool
Quote Reply
Re: How do I cut a carbon seat post? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/maintenance/steerer.html"

newest thing: i've been cutting my carbon steerers with my sawzall. stick the steerer in my miter block, stick my 32 teeth/inch blade into the sawzall, 0.6 seconds later a mitered steerer.[/reply]

I'm with you on this. I have been using my table saw or radial miter saw on steertubes and seatposts (both carbon and ALU) for years now. A carbite blade will make short work of any bike part.

Ron

----------

Quote Reply