Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA - Wear your f*cking helmet - please. [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They rode the Tour de France for years without helmets.

While smoking.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Wear your f*cking helmet - please. [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Classic.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many people in America, end up in the hospital with head injuries from bicycling without a helmet when compared with those in the hospital due to,
  • smoking
  • high fat diets
  • driving an automobile
  • not wearing a seat belt
  • no physical exercise
Agreed again and extends my point. I have no problem whatsoever with someone chosing to smoke or deciding to weigh 300lbs. In fact I partake in a few habits that some would consider "unsafe", most people do. However I also must take some responsibility for doing those habits.

Certainly we can't create various "health plans" for every combination of situations but on some levels certain known and preventable habits already effect health care costs at the outset. Alot of smoking members to a group increase the rate adjustment. My opinion is that this should simply be extened. A non smoking, healthy BF%, active person that wears his/her helmet, seat belt should have lower rates than a smoking, overweight, couch potatoe that refuses to wear their seatbelt.

A simply audit, questionaire and occasonal health examine should give the insurance companies a pretty good idea where someone lies.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Wear your f*cking helmet - please. [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree but of course some people will be offended by the questions and that will be the end of that.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In fact I partake in a few habits that some would consider "unsafe", most people do.
Come on Matt, fess up, what are your bad habits? You can't mention it and then leave us hanging. Please let it be hookers and snake handling.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Wear your f*cking helmet - please. [Aerohead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I east to much crap food, I don't work out enough, I drive to fast, and spend WAY to much time on the internet and playing video games...that would be the short list.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine how offended people would be when they were reported by their doctors to have 250% BF percentage...that would definately be the end of that.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: PSA - Wear your f*cking helmet - please. [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good shout - I work in a bike store, when people are talking about not having helmets i tell them about the crash my (60yr old) dad had. A car came out of a side road straight into him (even though he was 'lit up like a christmas tree' to use the phrase of the off duty policeman in the car behind the crasher(!)). He had 6 weeks off work due to bruising across his hips and lower spine, and as his job is physical, he needs that stuff. His helmet in the road in 3 pieces only held together by the plastic cover.
I sometimes tell them about the guy I saw on a charity ride who had crashed on a downhill - semi-conscious, and trying to cope with what his hand was telling him. Yep, you are putting your fingers inside your skull and feeling the soft stuff.
What are the excuses for not wearing one???

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Where Not To Wear Your Helmet [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello PSA and All,

Where not to bother wearing your helmet:

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Where Not To Wear Your Helmet [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where the hell is that ?
Quote Reply
Re: Where Not To Wear Your Helmet [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Blacky,

>where the hell is that?<

Part of new the IM course designed to prevent drafting packs. ;)

Do you think it will work?

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Where Not To Wear Your Helmet [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that Hans Rey? That's an awesome set of pics!

Las Vegas NV | IM KY 07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly - well stated, Matt.
Quote Reply
Re: Where Not To Wear Your Helmet [softrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that a parachute they are wearing ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So as I see it before a bike ride I should think:

some guy in North Dakota will have an increase in his health insurance premium if I crash today, so I guess I'll put on a helmet, since my health care will probably run out if I crash and hurt my head.

We are taking this way too far about health care increases if you don't wear a helmet. Increases in health care and cycling injuries are about comparable to a needle in the ocean.

BTW - I always wear a helmet, but it has nothing to do with health care increases for some guy in N Dakota. It has to do with me and my wife. I don't want to hurt my head and my wife won't let me ride without one.

I really don't care if you have your helmet on or not and I'm not going to mention it to you if you don't.

Paul
Quote Reply

Prev Next