Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim technique question
Quote | Reply
Should the fingers be together or slightly apart when pulling through the water. For either I'm guessing the thumb is in a "thumbs up" position. I had a swim coach years ago tell me to spread my fingers ever so slightly to create a bigger hand print.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique question [Big'un] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found I could decrease my stroke count slightly per lap when I put all my fingers together, including thumb, I thought it would'nt let any water just "slip" thru my fingers....Disclaimer: This is just my experience and is based on no scientific or coaching evidence ....there are much more important things in your stroke to work on first

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doesn't really matter, whatever is most comfortable for you. Squeezing your fingers tight together will probably decrease surface area though.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most elite swimmers I have studied tend to have their thumbs and fingers tucked tightly together on entry (and pitched slightly in order to have a smooth entry), then the fingers separate slightly as they stretch and scull and try to feel water for the catch. Once the catch has occurred and the pull phase begins, the fingers tend to tighten back together, and the thumb is held out (in the position you would hold it for thumb-to-thigh drill) for most of the pull phase.

Most swimmers I have spoken with, both elite and non-elite, notice a considerable increase in propulsion when the thumb is held out.

I don't know if this has been studied scientifically or not. I did a cursory search on this topic a few months ago and couldn't find anything. If anyone knows of some work along this line, I'd love to read it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
common treaching has been to have a very small spread in the fingers. Squeeze your fingers together, then relax and your fingers should move apart a bit. There you go.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok question on the catch..is there a way to determine when you feel the water and have a good catch?

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique question [imatopos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to all for the response. I've been doing what imatopos has described. Now, if I can just become a Elite Swimmer....??
Quote Reply