Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower MTB course
Quote | Reply
Would anybody with experience on the Wildflower MTB tri give some insight of the course? Specifically, the tech degree of the bike. Coming from the NE as an experienced MTB rider. First off-road tri, too. Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [solo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just say my 11 year old sister did it no problem.
Last edited by: CoreyFarrell: Dec 19, 06 19:06
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [CoreyFarrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. It least she wont be in my age group. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [solo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won the race in 03. The course is not technical at all. Its all paved road or wide fire roads as I recall.

The only tricky thing is that if it rains (rare but it rained heavy the year I was there) the first dirt section turns to muck. Was planning on going with Mythos slicks and went to pre ride in the rain the day before and I got about 50 yards before my bike was completely caked with mud and i could not pedal. Switched to some bigger treads, sprayed Pam on the entire bike except the chain, and rims. When everyone else was stuck I was able to pedal through most of the section. Just about the point where the bike was fully caking up, I jumped off and ran the last 75 yards or so and was able to ride without having to hose off the bike (there was a huge line of folks whose bike could not move).

Very unlikely that it will rain, but there is your strategy if it does.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced the long course 4 times and this year I am racing the oly course on Sunday. I am also toying with the idea of racing the mountain bike course on Saturday. I don't have a mountain bike, I have a big ol clunker like shown below. Will I have any trouble on the mountain bike course with this?

Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with cross tires probably not, however, you may want to check the rules whether they will allow it

it's not full yet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Jason:
"with cross tires probably not, however, you may want to check the rules whether they will allow it"

From Tri Cal website:
"Triathletes must use mountain bike frames with knobby tires (no road tires allowed)."

If I threw on knobby tires, do you think it would slip through?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower MTB course [OCTriGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops - meant that bike would be ok due to the non technical course, but it sounds like they dont allow it - maybe you can borrow an MTB

"If I threw on knobby tires, do you think it would slip through?"

I have no idea, but that would be a huge advantage and cheating :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have no idea, but that would be a huge advantage and cheating :) "

That is funny.
I pulled the trigger and signed up for the mountain bike race in addition to the olympic race on Sunday. That should be an epic race weekend.

And by the way, I already have an offer from a friend to borrow his hardtail. Now I have to drag 2 bikes up to Lake San Antonio.
Quote Reply