Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tech question on compact cranks
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at putting compact cranks on my road bike. It's a dura-ace nine speed right now. I'm thinking of putting these cranks on it.

RITCHEY PRO COMPACT CT 50 34 Crankset 170 $69.99,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260065017823&fromMakeTrack=true

Does anyone know if these will be compatable? Shimano is octalink, right? Any thoughts before I buy them?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'll be fine. Unless you have the new Dura Ace BB with external bearings then you most likely have the Ocatlink BB; since you said 9 speed I'm pretty sure that's what you have.

I had Ultegra 9speed with the Octalink and put the same Ritchey cranks on that you are talking about, no problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [BK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have to use a compact front derailer? I'm thinking all I would need to do is put the cranks on and get my current front derailer adjusted. Did you have to take any links out of your chain?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a Ritchey compact crank on my bike. I was able to put the crankset on, lower the front derailleur (ultegra), take a link (or two) out of the chain, and ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those will work fine. I have the WCS Compact on my previously DA 9 speed bike. Just an adjustment of the front derailleur and all is well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, no need for a special derailer, mine have worked fine on a couple bikes with standard derailers (Ultegra).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this on another thread a couple of days ago. I have FSA K-Force CC on two bikes with DA 10 speed, der's front /rear braze-on. The only problem is I have dropped the chain several times over last season. Both bikes have done it. I had it worked on by several people. Don't get me wrong it does not happen often, but it does happen. I have a third bike with FSA SLK w/DA but it has a clamp on front der. I have never dropped the chain on that bike?? It might be user error. That said I put Campy Record CC on my new Litespeed.

Maybe I should try this "Did you have to take any links out of your chain?" Or a compact front der.?

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Dec 20, 06 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Shimano R700 compact crank along with Dura-ace 10 speed double front derailler, but Dura-ace triple 10 speed on the rear. This was the setup advised by Slowman in an article he wrote last year regarding generic compact crank setup.

Have not had any problems.

-----------------------------------------------
evanoff.ca

Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [mr_tin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply to: I have the Shimano R700 compact crank along with Dura-ace 10 speed double front derailler, but Dura-ace triple 10 speed on the rear. This was the setup advised by Slowman in an article he wrote last year regarding generic compact crank setup.
---------------------------------------------------------
That was a good article. I have been running CC since. As for the rear der. "I think" the rear cass was 11/27. I will look for the article so I can read it again.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my gf has the fsa energy compact cranks, massive issues with chain drop until we used the FSA der. then everything was fine...

I have the Truvativ compact cranks run w/DA front and rear and it's been flawless.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the helpful replies. My road bike has a clamp on front derailer so that can be adjusted as low as I need. My P3 is on a braze on clamp. Did anyone put a compact on their P3? Any problems there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Record Compact on my P3 for a very short time...had shifting issues and the chain just LOVED to fall into the frame. 53T for me thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The only problem is I have dropped the chain several times over last season. Both bikes have done it. I had it worked on by several people. Don't get me wrong it does not happen often, but it does happen.[quote]

I to have the same problem
I will get a cc braze-on front der soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [cheyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply to: I will get a cc braze-on front der soon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Let us know how it goes. Please shoot me a PM.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"I'm looking at putting compact cranks on my road bike. It's a dura-ace nine speed right now. I'm thinking of putting these cranks on it. "

9 sp DA on my road bike with Stronglight 50/36 compacts and zero problems, even with Q rings. Shifts just as easy with the 53/39. I had to lower the fr. der slightly. Sorry for the over size photo..
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Tech question on compact cranks [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike. What kind of seat post is that?

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]
Nice bike. What kind of seat post is that?

[/reply]

looks a lot like Giant's "Aero Composite" seatpost, but I imagine it exists under a lot of names
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have installed compacts on my plasma, after a lot of reading, I decided to go with the shimano r700 set.

i had heard a lot of negative things about other CC sets, wheras the shimano set was promised to work fine with the standard FD.
out of curiosity I went for a ride BEFORE adjusting the fd, and the shifting was flawless, I still lowered it after though.
after several hundred miles, the shifts are still perfect, not one mishift let alone a dropped chain.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat post is off my old aluminium Giant TCR. By coincidence when jammed to it's max lowest position it fit's my recommended seat height to the exact mm. I never have to worry about slippage since it can't go any lower.
Quote Reply