Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

There are 3 races in Kona
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to make sense of my own sentiments about Kona, its 'world championship' credentials, the lottery, charity slots, etc, etc. I think I've come to terms with a way to think about it that puts into its proper perspective (for me at least).

The reality is that there are three races in Kona. Today, they are all run as one race, but these are the 'races within a race', if you will.

1. The Ironman Professional World Championship. By and large, this is the most competitive pro/elite field at an Ironman distance race in the world. Combined with the mystique of Hawaii, the tough conditions (most years at least)...this is truly is the world championship in my book.

2. The Ironman Age-Group World Championship. Top age-group field in the world at an Iron-distance race. Each athlete has earned their slot through competition and again, this race has to be considered a 'world championship' level event.

3. Ironman Hawaii - everyone else, ie lottery winners, charity, sponsor slots, celebrities, etc. These are the athletes there primarily to finish and to be a part of the experience. This event garners the most interest (from the non-triathlete public) and as such, creates the most brand awareness and money-making opportunity for the race organizers.

The TV coverage has typically focused on #1 and #3. Most of us on this forum are trying to be in #2 (at least I gather that from the posts on some other threads)

Just another way to think about it.

my twitter feed
Last edited by: jpflores: Dec 11, 06 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very accurate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hit it head on.

But even though most of us are trying to be in #2, I'm sure we're all really trying to be in #1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To bad more people do not understand this. (Meaning non athlete TV viewers)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good way of looking at things, I like it. The furor that this issue creates in some people constantly amazes me.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [MarcL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You hit it head on.

But even though most of us are trying to be in #2, I'm sure we're all really trying to be in #1.
True story!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you put it that way, I think they hit on all 3, since the firefighter/advernture racer qualified, the PC athlete qualified (at a 70.3 event) and the nun did (and I think one other person they showed). 2 people didn't (from my recolection...the guy who was connected to baseball, and the other dude that everyone is bi**(ing about on the other thread.)

Wow, looks like pretty balanced coverage then ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the firefighter/advernture racer " qualified at Ironman Arizona 2005 by doing a 11:24 (I recall). Check her race stats here:

http://www.teammerrellwigwam.com/robyn_bio.htm

If anyone on ST (man or woman) can even remotely post race stats which come close to equaling hers I will not only be amazed but in awe. Period. The woman is flat-out diesel. I have met her and she is one of the most down to earth athletes I have ever met.

She was featured on NBC Sunday because one, she has a great personality, two is a world-class athlete, and three because is made for good TV.

She has completed the Eco-Challenge and Raid Gauloises. She has finished 6 Ironman races and podiumed 2x in Hawaii. The Eco-Challenge and Raid Gauloises make an Ironman seem like one leg of a micro-sprint tirathlon.

She is probably the most qualified athelte to race in Hawaii.

It makes me wonder about all of the ST Deebs who have been whining ad naseum in six different threads now for two days about why Hawaii is no longer a pure race, etc. I have not seen them post their Hawaii times, podium finishes, qulaifying races, etc.

We can all find somethnig to whine about if we search hard and long enough. Ironman (both Ironman North Amercia and WTC) are for-profit businesses that have a right to charge for races, determine who gets in, etc. If we don't like it we can race elsewhere or start our own organization and do our own World Championships.

Yes, I understand and might even agree that if the true goal of Hawaii is to have only the best from the past year there racing then that's 100% the situation now. But who cares, sersiouly, if some dude from the Marlins bought a charity spot on eBay or won a lottery slot.

Harvard Business School, etc. lets in not only those with close to perfect grades but also those less "paper worthy" but whom bring a equally engaging life experience. Boston lets in racers who did not qualify. It is the cold hard reality. And instead of whining for days and days why not enjoy your accomplishment if you just did Hawaii or dream big and try to qualify on your own in the upcoming year.

Peace out.

Last edited by: hammerheadny: Dec 11, 06 22:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post !! I saw those races when I was there. too bad some people don't pick this up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think I've come to terms with a way to think about it that puts into its proper perspective (for me at least).
good for you...now do you feel better? we were all so worried that you were feeling ripped off by the real world...
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiri, obviously I'm not the only one who has given this subject some thought based on the number of hits on the Mark Rothbaum and similar threads.

But I'm not sure why you felt compelled to post such a snide and condescending remark.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you could remove "Kona" from the thread and it would still be accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [tomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully we can refer people to this thread when the subject comes up for the billionth time.... JP hit the nail on the head with his comments.

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: There are 3 races in Kona [tomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clarifying my response that (obviously) it wouldn't be a world championship at the other IM races - but still 3 races within a race.
Quote Reply