Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield
Quote | Reply
Hey Boulder Crew,

I'm looking for a new watering hole. The place I've been swim training at is getting too pricey.

I'm looking at the local rec centers (Broomfield and Louisville) and also FAC. I'm looking for the least crowded, best value for money place around to train at thru the winter.

I'll be starting out pretty unfit (coming back from injury) but if it has a masters program that I can move into, that would be a plus.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

trigeek76@triathlontrainingsurvey.net
http://www.triathlontrainingsurvey.net
Fill out my training survey to receive a copy of how Slowtwitchers really train
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [trigeek76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flatirons is the best I think in Boulder. Or you can get a City of Boulder Recreation pass and be able to use it at the North, South, and East center pools. You would have to get a Boulder Aquatic Masters pass though to swim masters though. But at Flatirons, masters is included in your membership so it is a better deal. Plus you can do Dave Scott's spin class too!
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [javabean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Java,

Is crowding an issue? I have a couple of buddies that do masters there and I've heard that it can get pretty packed?

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While Flatirons is the best place in Boulder to gawk at pro triathletes and those that simply look professional, I wouldn't overlook RallySport -- also has a year-round outdoor pool and a good, perhaps more "age-group" triathlete population. For maximum flexibility the Boulder Rec Centers with the punch pass is hard to beat, except that you can only swim outside in the summer months. No monthly fees, just pay-per-use, which is nice if you go long bouts with no swimming like myself, and otherwise have no use for the gym.

Boring finance guy now
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [trohat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Trohat.

Do the Boulder Rec centers have indoor pools?

I wasn't sure from your post whether you meant that you can't swim outside in the winter at these places or you can't swim, in the winter, period.

I'm not a big fan of outdoor swimming in freezing temps. Not sure how the FAC crew do it.

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South Boulder Rec center is the place to be. You'll get a few BAM workouts a week and the rest of the time you'll be alone in the pool. It also has the best access to the best running in Boulder.

All the Rec centers are indoor pools.

FAC is fine... se the same stuff as above.

Rally is by far the best. the outdoor pool is friggin sweet durring the winter. It's just outside the door so the trip into the pool lasts for only a second. The hot tub is then just inside the door for an after workout dip. Rally has BY FAR the best coaching in boulder. way better personal attention. Dave is great and all, but talk about a hammer fest. Good luck getting some good instruction. Every time i dropped into the dave workout, he was a no show and the workout was just up on a board.

THe new club in the flatirins mall area is not bad. only swam there twice, but it's a nice club.

OK, so here's the order.

#1 Rally, but only if you need some coaching. The location is not the best for running from the club. But it is Boulder so it's not bad.

#2. South Boulder Rec Center. Quiet, nice pool, clean, and instant access to the BEST of Boulder training. You jsut need a littel self motivation because not as many people will show up. THey do have masters there a few times a week, so you'll get your hammer on if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the swimming-outdoors-in-the-winter thing. When I first learned that my new gym's masters class swam outside at 5:30am, I thought it was totally nuts! But now I have happily joined their ranks. The hard part is getting out of the water, which naturally causes me to swim a few extra 100s. But its only really cold for those 15 seconds it takes to get to the door. Try it! I think you'll like it!
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the South Boulder center is boring. It is the least crowded though if the Fairview high school kids don't kick you out for their swim practice. The city pools (besides Scott Carpenter and Spruce in the summer) are all indoor pools with a ton of chlorine and lots of kids running around. Flatirons masters can sometimes be crowded but not like the indoor pools in the winter. Be prepared for lots of strutting and posing at FAC (do Wolfgang's class instead of Dave's). The run to the pool is not too bad either if you have a robe/jacket.
I haven't been to Rally so I cant compare it.
The new one by broomfield (Lakeshore Athletic Club) looks really nice but I heard is is pricey. I only pay $60 a month for FAC. You can get a punch card there too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best place to swim in Boulder/Broomfield [javabean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

I'm thinking I might try the South Boulder Rec for a while. I'm just getting over my hip surgery so I don't want to be forced (or tempted) to push it in a competitive masters program.

I'll second the priceyness of Lakeshore Athletic Club. I used to work there and so I got to swim for free. It's a really nice pool and never crowded but since I quit my job, it's a little outside of my price range.

I may make my 'debut' at FAC after I get my 100's back under 1:30 and my 6 pack back :-)

Thanks,

Alan

Quote Reply