Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: strength training in "Triathlete's Training Bible" [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Let me rephrase that... you shouldn't be spending more that 0(zero) mins in the weight room. "
---------------------------------

I would offer a rebuttal, but I need to go lift now...seriously :)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: strength training in "Triathlete's Training Bible" [derobj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am following (not spot-on) Friel's periodization for weights this winter. I took a full 2 years off from lifting in order to lose unnecessary muscle mass that I had left over from my years of competitive swimming. Note that I am avoiding the MS (maximum strength) phase, as I find it brings on an unecessary risk of getting injured for me. It would also be falling near a 50k trail run race I am doing in January, which is much more important for my IM training than being in the weight room. I'm findings that as my run mileage increases, my body's tolerance for weight training goes down. FWIW, I do a 50 min routine twice weekly. Depending on how my work schedule is next year, I'll most likely drop weights all together in favor of more SBR training.
Quote Reply
Re: strength training in "Triathlete's Training Bible" [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I forgot about this tread -
Yes my AA workouts really takes about 2 1/2 hours , and I do believe I follow Friel's Traning Bible recommendations from page 183, table 13.1

I do the 7 exercises 5 sets each with 30 reps each with slow speed, about 3-5 seconds each rep. The recovery is 1-1.5 minutes (between each set).

Even if I was going with no recovery break between each set it would take 1h 10 min:
Each rep 2 seconds up + 2 seconds down = 4 seconds
X 30 reps = 1:20 per set,
X 5 sets = 10 minutes,
X 7 exercises = 70 minutes

Add in the 1 - 1.5 minute recovery between each set and you have a 105 to 122.5 minutes long weight workout, and that's not even counting a proper warm-up !

I admit I wasn't timing the breaks too closely and Dexter was on TV.

I am in no rush either as I am stuck at the firestation for 24 hours. I am doing the highest range of reps and sets on purpose to make the time go by.

Oh,by the way, Casey , I won overall in a sprint triathlon on Saturday ;)
Last edited by: jefeloco: Dec 13, 06 7:44
Quote Reply
Re: strength training in "Triathlete's Training Bible" [jefeloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my opinion but that is way too long for a weight workout. You don't need more than 30 minutes 2x/ wk, full body ,high intensity. I like Joel Friel but I think he's way off base when it comes to strength training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next