Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Great Wheel Dilemma - HELP!
Quote | Reply
I need some help deciding on a best course of action regarding my training and racing wheels.

This year, I'm training with power (powertap) and would like to race with it as well. Currently, the PT is laced to Mavic Open Pro, but I'm trying to figure out what to do for races. My initial thought was to purchase a wheel cover for the Mavic, and figure out what to use for a front wheel. I own a set of Easton Tempest II (tubular) race wheels, the front wheel of which I could marry up with the PT/Mavic/cover rear, but that would leave me racing with a tubular front and a clincher rear.

My question is: what should i do?

1) race with the aforementioned tubular front and clincher rear?
2) relace the PT into the Eastons for come race season, and use those for training and racing?
3) sell the Eastons and pick up race front wheel?
4) sell the Eastons (and my previous training wheels, Ksyrium SLs) and pick up a set of dual purpose aero training wheels (clincher, faired rims) such as Jets or Super/Ultrasonics and lace the PT into those?
5) other?

Thanks.

p.s. - another factor for consideration: i'm picking up my new hot rod this week, and i think it deserves some aesthetically pleasing wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Wheel Dilemma - HELP! [pskut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My question is: what should i do?

2) relace the PT into the Eastons for come race season, and use those for training and racing?
4) sell the Eastons (and my previous training wheels, Ksyrium SLs) and pick up a set of dual purpose aero training wheels (clincher, faired rims) such as Jets or Super/Ultrasonics and lace the PT into those?
5) other?

3 and 4 both sound like good options.

If 3, get a cover and a Hed 3 or Zipp 808 clincher for the front.

If 4, a pair of Hed Jet 90 clinchers with the PT could do everything.
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Wheel Dilemma - HELP! [pskut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
5) other?

1) Nothing wrong with this setup. Just take the cover off for training. As long as you have storage space for an inner tube and a spare tub, it'll be fine. You're more likely to puncture the rear anyway. I quite often race tubular front, clincher rear and vice versa.
2) No., you'd regret this option. See answer to 4 below.
3) If you're comfortable riding the Easton up front, I wouldn't reccomed this option. Besides, by keeping the Eastons you have a spare rear race wheel. This may be useful if you ever decide to try bunch racing.
4) No. You get a psycological boost from your race wheels, so training on them won't have that effect.
5) If you must change something, can I suggest you go for the complete clearout, as in your 4th option. Instead of getting dual purpose wheels, get a front race wheel and a front training wheel. Take the cover off for training untill such time as you can get another rear PT wheel. If you do a search of the forum, you'll come across a bike with a Zipp 404 PT rear wheel with a cover. That would give your race wheel, and your Mavic PT wheel could be kept for training.

Hope this helps.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Re: The Great Wheel Dilemma - HELP! [neil_laing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, I like your ideas.

As I will soon be riding a Real Design Aero HP fork, can anyone direct me to studies of tire/wheel/fork interactions for minimal drag?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Dec 11, 06 6:46