Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed skating as winter cycling alternative?
Quote | Reply
Do you think speed skating is an effective way of cross training to maintain/improve cycling performance. In my opinion there is nothing more boring than riding a trainer during the winter months, and I don't like to ride outside when it's below -20 Celsius. Riding rollers is slightly better, as there are consequences to nodding off for a few seconds. I seem to recall several female athlete's that have won Olympic medals in both speed skating and cycling, so feel there may be benefits to speed skating during the winter. Your thoughts? Maybe Paulo will chime in because I was initally thinking PowerCranks would result in a more challenging workout, but he has got me thinking otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed skating as winter cycling alternative? [badge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is an excellent option. I do some every winter. And as a bit of background, Pauli Kiuru who was on the Kona podium several times did exactly that in his native Finland. To your point, Christa Lueding from Germany won gold medals in track cycling and speedskating. Clara Hughes from Canada has done the same (no gold in cycling...bronze...but multiple speedskating medals including gold). And on the men's side, what abot Eric Heiden...multiple time gold medalist in speedskating, Tour de France cyclinst and US National Cycling champion. Pretty well every speedskating champion cross trains on the bike so it flips over both ways.

Bottom line, is that you can spend time getting mentally burnt on a trainer, or widen your athletic horizons and have another source of fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Speed skating as winter cycling alternative? [badge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've debated on going back to speed skating and yes it would help with maintaining bike performance.

If that is where you are weak then you probably should stick with biking if you can. I don't like riding in the cold or on the trainer either but that's not where I am weak. My weakness is running.

As I remember it, cycling helps speedskating more than skating helps cycling. We would practice 5 times a week and ride 150 to 200 miles but cyclists at our level of skating would be riding 300 to 400 a week

Also, I don't know about ice speed skating but the roller speed skating season ends in the summer with State/Regionals in July and Nationals in August (at least thats the way it was when I skated) and they might like you to finish the season with them to help train skaters for nationals and relays. I would talk to the coaching staff and let them know your intentions first before they make a commitment to you.

Oh yes, and swimming really screws up you balance on skates!!! Our coach would kill us when he found out we went swimming.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Speed skating as winter cycling alternative? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, and swimming really screws up you balance on skates!!! Our coach would kill us when he found out we went swimming.

Conversely, my swim coach used to get really upset if we went skating. He said it tightened up our ankles and messed up our kick. Skating and skiing were both forbidden.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed skating as winter cycling alternative? [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's like the Capulet's and the Montague's :)

jaretj
Quote Reply