Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The IM-WI loop in late November
Quote | Reply
Well, first of all, I don't recommend riding once in 6 weeks (or 4 times in 9 weeks!) and then going out and riding the WI loop. Unless of course, you want to be reminded of exactly how much bike fitness you've lost!

It was a pretty nice day here in the IL/WI area and we drove up to Verona this AM after swimming 2000 meters at the local Y. The original intention was to run around Lake Monona, about 20K, as a post-holiday workout. But I stuck the bike in the SUV and decided to use the decent weather to ride instead.

The day was colder, but nicer, than the last time I was on the course on that epic race day. The trees are now all bare and the crops have been harvested and with the sparse landscape you can really get a sense of the rolling nature of even the smaller hills on the course. The other thing I was reminded of is the thread that Dev started about AG-ers and off season fitness. I have swam alot, but not much else for the last two months and boy did I feel it on the ride today. You can sort of fool yourself with your fitness this time of year..."oh the pants are a little tighter, a few pounds, but hey I swam 16,000 last week, so I still got it, blah blah..." and then you go and do something that is a familiar test and you realize, as your struggling up the climbs, that fitness is hard won and easily lost....and that it is OK to eat what you want in July and August when it all burns, but October and November, well that's a whole 'nother thing.

When they first announced that bike course in 2002 I thought they were nuts...too tough. Who is going to run a marathon after that? I struggled with that ride alot in 2003 and 2004, finally getting through it this year. I've grown to really like it. It's challenging and tough but if you can get your head around it it is a whole lotta fun to figure out.
If you are racing next year, you have something special to look forward to.

Anyway...I'm rambling. It was a fun 40 miles...and a reminder not to have the second (or third) bagel.

Happy Thanksgiving folks,
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: The IM-WI loop in late November [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark...glad to hear you got out...but I would never even dream of doing any "standard" summer bike or run loops in the off season. This might be too demoralizing. Instead I have different "loops" and "benchmark" workouts for different seasons, which allows me to enjoy my current fitness (whatever doughboy or relatively studly state that might be) without having the overbearing metric of some number or some perceived exertion for that part of the workout that was attained at another statospheric level of fitness:-). Its natural to have less fitness at different times of year, but don't let it get to you.

I used to have a saying with my training partners, "Studs in December, lame in July"...in fact, you can take it a step further...studs in June, lame in July. Guys like Iban Mayo and a host of others have proven this in the lead up to the Tour where they are hammering Lance...and then literally riding backwards when it counts in the A race.

So yes, while it is important to maintain a minimal level of "maintenance fitness" never let "pointy end peak fitness" throw you into negative thoughts about current fitness...that pointy end stuff is once or twice a year, and we should all feel worse doing a race loop on the "maintenance phase" that we flew over in "peak fitness" :-)...but the key is never slide out of "maintenance mode"....

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just thought about how painful even a single Ironman LP loop would feel right now...I'll save my next attempt for that course for Jun 8th, 2007, when I do my Epicman training day with the boys. At that point we are 7 weeks away from "peak fitness" Close enough to compare current fitness with required race day fitness, but far enough out to know that there is still room for improvement and take any action in the interim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect day for riding. I rode 55 today, here around Chicago. Crap I thought that I was going to die. Just woke up from a nice 2 hr nap. Anyway looking to ride 40 tomorrow mornining again, another nice day coming up.

Have a great weekend,
Paul

Looking like a color blind super hero!
Damn triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: The IM-WI loop in late November [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points Dev. On the drive home I was giving myself a little credit for dragging this 50 year old body through 2000 meters and then 40 hilly miles...but all the while thinking I should a run an easy three off the bike!

The dang thing is we remember how it's s'posed to feel...especially as I have grown older when it gets harder to keep the weight down and the speed up. Guess that's why we keep after it though, right? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotta give you tons of credit for hitting the loop! The weather was so nice, I thought about doing it myself (I live pretty close). However, I agree with DP, it would be too demoralizing right now. I am afraid to do it again until spring. That's a tough course! Glad you had fun and were able to enjoy the weather.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark, while I am not the same age as you, I've been doing tri for a few decades. The difference between now and when I was young is simply that I could get up on any day of the year and hammer without body parts falling off. The only impact is that I'd be sore. Now, unless, I have carefully built up the fitness, I can't even get to that high end of "how its supposed to feel" aside from a few weeks/months per year, and if I even attempt to do it momentarily, I run the risk of a loose body part falling off and putting me out of commission for days or weeks. So like you, if I do anything to push the limit in maintenance mode, it will be biking or swimming oriented and not on the run! And for me now, I am gradually putting the key workout together on rollerskis so that as soon as the snow hits I can feel strong on XC skis and not have joints fail on me :-). Frankly, it is nice to be able to focus on different sports at different times of year (each with their key benchmark workouts...)

Dev
Quote Reply