Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinergy Rev X
Quote | Reply
I've got the opportunity to get hold of a pair of Rev X's from a work colleague, at the mo the wheels are set up with an 8sp shimano hub and I would be swapping the 8sp out for a Shimano Ultegra 10sp.

Question is, will there be an issue with the spacing, if so can it be frigged or am I on a road to nowhere with this?

Stu

Never knowingly exceeding my own expectations!

Last edited by: Jiggery Pokery: Nov 23, 06 2:56
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [Jiggery Pokery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will definitely have to change the hub. From then on, no problem.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Klep - that's ace, I'll have a spare hub available to me as soon as my new bike arrives and I can swap out the bits from my old one.

Stu

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Klep - that's ace, I'll have a spare hub available to me as soon as my new bike arrives and I can swap out the bits from my old one.

That's not true. An 8spd Shimano hub will support 10 speed cassettes; the only incompatibility between 8/9/10 speed Shimano is that a 10spd Shimano hub won't support 8/9 cassettes. You will be fine. And by hub, I assume you mean the hub body, as you can't replace the hub in a Rev-X.

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What klehner said. You need to put a 1 mm spacer on before the 10 spd cassette, as the 10 spd cassette is actually narrower than the 8/9 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers ta fella's!

Stu

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever researched the safety record of Spinergy Rev-X wheels? Catastrophic failure was reported by many to be a real safety issue. There was a whole website dedicated to this. I don't know the link.

Better be careful and inspect and/or get an expert opinion before you ride on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi NYSLIM....

I have looked at user reviews for the Rev-X's and as you quite rightly say there have been reports of instances where there have been catastrophic failures. One of the things that worries me though is that from the failure data there is no real empirical evidence that the failures were not as a result of rider error or an outside influence. Yes I am aware of the high tension of the spokes and that one failing will lead to total failure and yes I am aware that the rivet used in the fixing of each spoke creates a weekness in the construction and rather than strengthening the connection between spoke and rim actually creates a potential failure point. There must have been thousands of pairs of Rev-X sold over the years, before they were withdrawn, and I've read more positive/average reviews than I have damning ones.

However.....

I am sat in the lab at work with an electron microscope going over the wheels with a keen eye. I'm not actually going to race on these wheels either so i won't be putting them under any great strain...for my sins and to my utter shame...the wheels are simply to trick up my Planet X road bike that I commute to work on....pose value in the bike shed and at the traffic lights if you will ;0)

Stu

Stu

Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are these the machete wheels? Rumor is that these wheels sliced the knee of Michele Bartoli in a bike race/crash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi NYSLIM....

I have looked at user reviews for the Rev-X's and as you quite rightly say there have been reports of instances where there have been catastrophic failures. One of the things that worries me though is that from the failure data there is no real empirical evidence that the failures were not as a result of rider error or an outside influence. Yes I am aware of the high tension of the spokes and that one failing will lead to total failure and yes I am aware that the rivet used in the fixing of each spoke creates a weekness in the construction and rather than strengthening the connection between spoke and rim actually creates a potential failure point. There must have been thousands of pairs of Rev-X sold over the years, before they were withdrawn, and I've read more positive/average reviews than I have damning ones.

However.....

I am sat in the lab at work with an electron microscope going over the wheels with a keen eye. I'm not actually going to race on these wheels either so i won't be putting them under any great strain...for my sins and to my utter shame...the wheels are simply to trick up my Planet X road bike that I commute to work on....pose value in the bike shed and at the traffic lights if you will ;0)

Stu

I'll make this short and sweet....

Speaking as one of the people that experienced wheel failure, suffering injury, and narrowly escaping serious injury or death, I can attest that wheel failure is not the result of rider error. If you look at my posts, several months ago I wrote about my experience in detail. Ultimately it is your choice, but if you find the website that was bashing Spinergy I think you will be convinced not to touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
are these the machete wheels? Rumor is that these wheels sliced the knee of Michele Bartoli in a bike race/crash.
I also have a scar on my finger because when my bike slipped off the rack in the transition zone, the Spinergy wheel sliced down to the bone.

Quote | Reply
why use a wheel that might hurt you ?
their is enough danger just riding on the street

dirt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the negative posts were predictable. my side of that story:

i owned, regularly used, and raced, a pair of Rev-X's for quite a long time without any issue whatsoever. high end wheels demand high end care, inspections, and attention. for every one who did have an issue, you could find exponentially more who did not. a very close review of the detailed experiences of both groups, along with accurate histories of the wheels, would pretty much explain it all.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Rev X [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not buy them with all the other choices of wheels out their.
their are many many better wheels I could buy that have a better failure rate. if they do fail your ass is in trouble . I can't think of an other wheel set that fails so dramatically. I sure their is others .

I guess I just don't want inspect my wheels enough to own a pair of rev x.
When I have a wheel problem I just want to have to open up my brakes some and get home safe.
I don't use Firestone tires on my truck either.;-)

dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Last edited by: cheyou: Nov 24, 06 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the negative posts were predictable. my side of that story:

i owned, regularly used, and raced, a pair of Rev-X's for quite a long time without any issue whatsoever. high end wheels demand high end care, inspections, and attention. for every one who did have an issue, you could find exponentially more who did not. a very close review of the detailed experiences of both groups, along with accurate histories of the wheels, would pretty much explain it all.
The thing is, most users will like the wheel until something happens. And when something happens it is often very serious. Funny how my perspective on the wheels changed when my face hit the pavement going over 40 kph.

Quote | Reply
i would never attempt to downplay the seriousness of your experience. near death is indeed just that.

i will however contend that your experience was out of the ordinary and that we will never know all the factors involved.

btw...what is the ratio of wheels produced to documented catastrophic failures? any idea? and has anyone researched user care and documented the wheel histories of those involved in the failures?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With all due respect, the wheels have been discontinued and no wheel builder has even remotely considered a similiar design. If you want to speak with the inventor, he started another wheel company. If you want to speak to one of his engineers, he runs a very popular bike-tech website....

They were nice wheels during their day.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i would never attempt to downplay the seriousness of your experience. near death is indeed just that.

i will however contend that your experience was out of the ordinary and that we will never know all the factors involved.

btw...what is the ratio of wheels produced to documented catastrophic failures? any idea? and has anyone researched user care and documented the wheel histories of those involved in the failures?

Bare in mind that Spinergy has admitted to this catastrophic fault. The wheels fail in either of two ways:
  1. Carbon fiber weakens over time and the wheel collapses. Usually this will happen when the wheel is under the most stress (i.e. going over a bump on the road at high speed, rounding a corner etc.)
  2. The glue at the hub weakens and if the lug clip comes off the hub there is nothing holding the blade to the hub. Another event with catastrophic results.

Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'm sure spinergy has and they discontinued the product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You stated that these were to be used as commute wheels or pose value in the shed. If you commute either regularly or have a long commute these are not the wheels to be riding on especially if you are riding with a backpack or panniers. Good wheels but I wouldn't risk that much on them.
Quote Reply