Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stretching in Hot tub prior to workout.
Quote | Reply
Due to time constraints, I can usually manage either a 1 mile swim or a 5k run at the gym during lunch hour (but nothing more really by the time I shower and drive there and what not).

Before a treadmill run, I've been doing my stretches in the hot tub. I was just wondering if this was a good idea, and if it had any adverse effect on the performance afterward (not that I really care about the treadmill performance that much).

I doubt it's bad for me, but I seem to have a little less energy, and wanted to see what the experts had to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Stretching in Hot tub prior to workout. [Shane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why would you want to get out of the hottub to do anything? people confuse me sometimes.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you skipped the hot tub, you'd have more time to run... just a thought.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Stretching in Hot tub prior to workout. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point, but I'm not very flexible, and I dont like to stretch cold. getting in the hot tub for just a few minutes (like 3 or 4 really) warms up the muscles (which by the end of the week are a little sore.), and seems to make my stretches more effective.

Maybe it's a dumb question. Or maybe it's a dumb practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude. You need to change your screen name :)

But as far as the hot tub - I have no clue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes sense, then.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have an indoor hot tub at the house. Stretching in the hot tub is great but I've always found that there is less energy in my body after sitting in the hot water when exercising afterwards. It works better for me to do exercise first and then stretch in the hot tub after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it your hot tub or the gym's? I would say avoid gym hot tubs at all times. Gyms are germ magnets anyway. You don't want to soak in it a well as breathe it, do you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if it is good or bad for you, but I do have two thoughts in regards to your performance after the hot tub soak. 1) Because it is a hot tub, you are bound to burn calories in it. Therefore, you would have less to use on the treadmill. 2) Another thought is that while it warms you up, hot tubs would also relax you.

Those are just hypotheses though, I don't have any science to back them up.
Quote Reply