Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mark Allen + US Olympic Marathon Trial
Quote | Reply
If I remember correctly Mark pulled a quad at the halfway point of the USA marathon team trial (for Barcelona)* in 1994 and withdrew from the race, can someone confirm this?

PoC

* my mistake. Barcelona, 1992, Atlanta - 1996
Thanks TbinMT

geoffwhite.ws
Last edited by: princeofclydes: Nov 1, 06 18:07
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen + US Olympic Marathon Trial [princeofclydes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If memory serves me correctly, he didn't pull out of the trials, but rather pulled out of another race while trying to run a qualifying time to make it to the trials.

I'm probably wrong thought...too lazy to research it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my memory is a bit fuzzy on this but the way I remember it, after a really good 10 mile time (49 something) at Cherry Blossom, Mark headed off to Rotterdam Marathon to get a US Olympic Trials marathon qualifying time and fell short, so he never actually raced in the trials because he never got a qualifying time.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen + US Olympic Marathon Trial [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was at either Rotterdam or Berlin, but I'm pretty sure it was Berlin. He needed about 2:25/4 to get into the olympic qualifying race. While on the right pace he pulled out at about 15 miles. The comments I read from him at the time (what was reported anyway) were that the sustained pounding at that pace was too much for his quads, so I suppose you could call it a quad strain.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy- Sir Isaac Newton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I read he also took about a year (?) off to focus on this goal. He may have had the ability to qualify for oly trials (2:22) but running a truly competitive marathon (2:12) is another matter, something only a few Americans do each year ... Barcelona was in 1992, BTW.
Quote Reply
Re: Mark Allen + US Olympic Marathon Trial [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the replies.
and yes, [slaps forehead] I remembered too late about the year of Barcelona. :)

Bar bet settled.

Now, will Lance pull up lame trying to go too hard on Sunday?

I wonder.

PoC

geoffwhite.ws
Quote Reply