Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket...
Quote | Reply
Had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. Nobody in my family seemed to notice - got squat for presents. So, I'm allocating $200 to get what ever I want. Haven't done anything for my bike for a year, when last year everyone pooled their money and got me a Renn disc for IMFL. Prior to that, I've only replaced the seat with a Fizik Arionne. So... what to spend it on? Originally I was thinking of the Rotor Q-Rings. They seem to have positive reviews here on ST - something like 4 to 6% improvement. I've also heard that the best speed thing you can buy for your bike, besides a good fitting, is an aero helmet. Apparently an aero helmet trumps aero frames, wheels, forks, tires, and bars as the best piece of go-fast gear you can buy. Q-Rings and aero helmets both seem to be around $200, so which should I buy?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: $200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put your money on black and let er ride a few times, then you can get whatever you want. The real questions is what do you need? do you need a new helmet, or bike computer or etc...etc....buy what you need to make yourself faster and BTW, Happy B-lated birthday.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: $200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aero helmet! Then you can look like a dinosaur!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody in my family seemed to notice - got squat for presents.

I weep for you.

I'm allocating $200 to get what ever I want

Put it in your mattress, and next year when everyone ignores your birthday again, you can add another 200 clams and sign up for some M-dot race somewhere.

Otherwise, I'd say just save yourself $200.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I give myself $500 for my birthday every year. I put it in my bank account.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: $200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket... [crikey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do I need?
A magic bullet would be nice.
Nothing really "needed", just a change-up, a bump, something I can feel when riding. I guess the aero helmet, though, would only be for races.

Quote Reply
Re: $200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already look like a dinosaur - 51 years old (yikes, what happened?)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with Hookers and Cocaine. But thats just me.

I'd go with Qrings. I just tend to think that you need to be pretty damn fast before you can wear an aero helmet, and I am not fast enough. You might be though. If you are a FOPer, go with the aero helmet.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: $200 (ooOOoo Wow!) burning a hole in my pocket... [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hookers and Cocaine", I like your style, but, no thanks.

I'm edging towards Q-rings. In sprints, 'cause of my age, I start in late waves, so even if I'm doing real good, it's not apparent to the spectators. So an aero helemet might look a bit conceited. In a mass start IM, I swim pretty good and come out ahead of most - IMFL, I was 58th place - so I would look reasonable starting off on the bike with an aero helmet, but then those massive packs go cycling by me... and then Joe Bonness shoots by me like I'm pedaling backwards, I might as well put the helmet on backwards. So Q-rings, maybe just as effective, but far more subtle in the looks department.

Quote Reply