Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My neighborhood almost went up in flames yesterday
Quote | Reply
A methlab exploded down in the canyon below my house yesterday and started a wildland fire during red flag conditions. We responded with both of our companies engines as well as CDF's 1782 as we got to the ridgeline all we could see was a thick column of smoke being pushed right at us by 20 mph swirling winds. The engineer on the CDF called out for a major wildland response. Our two County Fire engines were put in charge of structure protection and 1762 headed back out to find a way in to the fire.
The calvary arrived to our location in about twenty minutes. We got a strike team of 7 type one engines giving us 9 engines and 27 fire fighters to protect 100 homes. Meanwhile an strike force of 30 firefighters on 10 engines, 4 14 man fire crews, 2 helicopters, two air tankers an one air attack an two water tenders were inbound to the lower canyon to make a pincer attack.

If the fire got away from us the whole area was going to burn.

two engines and a helo got on scene first then the rest of the gang arrived.
the Helo saved the day by slowing the spread until ground force got into play. The fire made one major run at us but the Air Tankers knocked it down. One fire fighter was critically injured during an air drop when the force of the water dropped a 10" diameter madrone branch 20 feet out of a snag hitting him on the head and back..he was airlifted to a trauma center. they say he will recover.

These are the Photos from my crews vantage point less than 5000 feet from my own home

as of 11:30pm there were still crews on scene doing mop up

On a sad note today 11/26, 5 forest service firefighters [doing the same detail as I did on our fire] down in SoCal were over run by flames leaving 4 dead and one fighting for his life with burns over 95% of his body...I feel so sad for them and their families right now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: My neighborhood almost went up in flames yesterday [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric,

Glad to hear you guys were able to knock it down so quickly. I hope your guy makes a full and speedy recovery. Being in Los Gatos, I'm always weary of fires in the hills this time of year. That was very sad news indeed about the Socal firefighters today. Thanks for sharing the pics- very cool shots.

-John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there Eric! We're getting the fallout from the fire all the way over here in San Clemente.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great pic's - thanks for posting! Happy everything worked out.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice pics. Glad you were able to save the day.

The SoCal guys have been major news here since it happened. We have some wildfire trouble in these parts every year, so it's news... my condolences to their families and friends...

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, amazing shots. Glad to see your home is safe. One summer in Rapid City, SD, I could see the airplanes doing water and retardent drops from my house, but it was nowhere near as close.

Heard about those firefighters in SoCal...died fighting a fire an arsonist set...hope they catch that dude and flay him alive. Or better, yet, skin him and donate that to the guy fighting for his life with burns over 95% of his body.

Spot

Last edited by: spot: Oct 27, 06 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are incredible pictures. The plane and the copter look so small compared to the valley.

I'm always amazed at the brass balls fire fighters have. I don't think I could do it.

And it is very sad about the fire fighters that lost their lives yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MY LAB!!!!!!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: My neighborhood almost went up in flames yesterday [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"MY LAB!!!!!!"

haha! Now that is funny.

----------
Fortitudine Vincimus
Quote Reply