Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A professional athlete with diabetes
Quote | Reply

If anybody else here is diabetic, I’m sure you share this frustration. It is almost impossible to find good information about how to handle Type 1 diabetes during a triathlon or marathon. The Diabetic Athlete by Sheri Colberg is a good book, but for the most part, the literature out there just urges diabetics to exercise.

There is some fantastic information posted on the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association forum that I just found today. Unfortunately for my boss, I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading the site instead of working today. Missy Foy is professional runner with diabetes. She was first (and I think the only) person with diabetes to qualify for the U.S. Olympic marathon trials. She has listed so much helpful information! I’ve pasted a copy of her first post below. She goes into great detail, the post is currently several pages. If you are a triathlete with diabetes, you will be very interested in reading more. The link is http://www.diabetes-exercise.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92 You do have to be a member to view the forum and there is a charge to join(I believe $20). If there are people interested in reading more, I will be glad to paste her posts on this site (tomorrow when I’m back at work).

Also, if someone has other great sites to recommend, I’d love to hear about them!
------------------------------------------------

I have been asked several times lately if I would detail my experiences with training/racing and being a professional runner with diabetes. I have Type 1 diabetes and I've been a professional runner for quite a few years now. I run for a US National Team sponsored by Moving Comfort, a subsidiary of Russell Athletics. I have qualified for and competed in Olympic Marathon Trials and I race distances from 5K to the marathon. I have decided to put together an 8 part series of posts here. My two greatest hopes are that this will generate some type of dialogue among us and that this information will help someone figure out how they can better manage athletic training with diabetes. The 8 parts will be:

(1) Summary of my athletic background
(2) Summary of my diabetes regimen
(3) My physiological testing
(4) How my coach and I plan my training/racing
(5) How I train (with exerpts from my training logs)
(6) How I manage my diabetes when I race a marathon
(7) Injuries and how they have affected me
(8) Where do I see myself going with all this?

I am NOT trying to detail how to get started training or how to begin a fitness program. I will lay out MY experiences and what has worked for me. As I go through this, please reply with any questions and I’ll answer them as we go. Also, add any comments you have. Even if people just read the posts without comments or questions, I’ll still go through the entire outline. I’ll also include updates about where my current training is as I get back in shape for racing again. I really want to emphasize, though, that I am not trying to offer medical advice or coaching. People have asked me to detail my experiences and I hope that my experiences might be of some help to other diabetic athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: A professional athlete with diabetes [TryingRealHard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a guy that posts here that is a good athlete, top 10 at IM Brasil last year, that has diabetes. His name is Vinnie Santana, maybe you can PM him, his screen name is "vinnie". I'm sure he's got a website too, just google his name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His event's the furthest thing you can get from an endurance event, but try posting on the message board at Gary Hall Jr.'s web site:

http://www.theraceclub.net/

He might be able to give you some ideas on how he's managed his blood sugar on heavy/long training days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to see more posts from that site.

I too, am a Type 1 diabetic who has run 8 marathons, completed one half Ironman race and currently am training for the Arizona Ironman race in April 2007. Any information I can get regarding training and race nutrition would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: A professional athlete with diabetes [type1girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a diabetic as well. Looking to continually improve. Done one ironman, 1 2/3 half ironman (im nz this year) and also competed in Lausanne this year...I've been managing diabetes and sports for 16 years...I seem to have some real probs with cramping in races, any other diabetics out there suffer from cramp? My levels also seem to skyrocket in standard distance triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: A professional athlete with diabetes [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found that at times on really big training days, my insulin requirements go WAY down, altho it can change quite randomly at times it seems. ie 3 units humalog for breakfast, 1 unit humulin n, lunch 4 units humalog, dinner 5 units humalog, nite 6 units humulin n.

Like I said I've had diabetes for 16 years and my body IS not producing any insulin anymore as it might during a 'honeymoon' period.

Also had a few kinda scarey experiences, like going majorly low in blood sugar 2 hours from home on the bike with just enough food for myself without having gone low, and not being able to eat or drink anything with carbs in it for 3-4 hours cos my blood sugar was too high and I had no insulin on me.
Quote Reply
Re: A professional athlete with diabetes [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vinnie's website is http://www.geocities.com/triathlondiabetes/

Another interesting website is http://www.type1rider.com/

I'm just coming up to my 2 year anniversity of being Type 1. Diagnosed when I was 36.

I was at Laguna Phuket Triathlon and lost 15% of my body weight and was continually thirsty. I though it was just the after effects of racing in that climate!

Since then I have done Strongman Japan, a couple of small triathlons and various length runs up to marathon length. I haven't bonked in a race since being diagnosed - one good thing about being Type 1 is I pay much more attention to what my body is telling me and to my race nutrition which I didn't do very well before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kris Freeman, US Ski Team Nordic, 2 x Olympian, U23 World Champion

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi -- As a fellow person with type 1 diabetes, please accept my support and understanding of what you deal with on a daily basis. Having said that, you know as well as I do -- all of us with diabetes CAN do it. I raced an IM before I was diagnosed and then 2 IM after becoming a type 1. I am not a professional athlete -- yet learned alot along the road. More importantly, I found my professional calling and founded a business to help people with diabetes. check out www.fitness4diabetics.com and let us know if we can help you achieve your goals. Be well. P.S. A friend told me about your posting as I usually am not on forums, so please feel free to contact me or the team via the information on the site to continue talking.
Quote Reply
Re: A professional athlete with diabetes [Dweingard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the sites you recommended. My full congratulations to Type 1 girl, fulla, Davet, and Dweingard for your accomplishments! Its encouraging to see how you have managed your diabetes and kick butt in races! Dweingard, I’m headed over to check out your site.
My husband is actually the one who is diabetic, but as his training partner I like to find out all I can. He doesn’t usually read this forum (can’t sit still long enough *smile*), but I told him about this thread and he'll read it. He was diagnosed with type 1 when he was 37, though he knew something was wrong for several years. Since he had none of the risk factors, the doctors never checked for diabetes. He finally went to the doc and told them to test for it. His A1c was 16! Three years later, we have run 3 marathons together, several tris and he is doing his first iron distance at IMFL.

So, I’ll post the 8 part series from Missy Fox. I’d encourage you to join the DESA website, because there is more discussion about race nutrition and training.

Part 1: Summary of my athletic background

I have had Type 1 diabetes for a little less than 8 years. I have run professionally for about 7 years now. I run for a US National Team sponsored by Moving Comfort, a subsidiary of Russell Athletics. I’ve qualified for and competed in Olympic Marathon Trials. I race distances from 5K to the marathon (I’ve run low 17 for 5K, mid 28 for 5M, 36 for 10K, 80 flat for half marathon, and 2:47 for the marathon - and I once ran 33:09 for a 6 mile race that had a net elevation loss!). I know that I can still improve some on the half and on the marathon, but I don’t see myself taking any time off the shorter races – I just don’t have the speed (my best mile is only 5:17 and that was the first mile of a race!). I have accumulated over 70 first place finishes at varying distances, hold course records and state records at various distances, was in the USA Track and Field Elite Athlete Development Program for two years, was NC Runner of the year for two years, was a LifeScan Award winner, and went to Olympic Trials, etc. I have been able to travel a lot of places, do a lot of neat things, and meet a lot of great people with running. It has really been wonderful. I will probably only compete for two more years or so and then I'll retire from the sport. It's not something you can do forever and it's a lot of work. I have other things that I want to do. I'll continue running but I'll stop competing (I might run a race here and there, but probably just for fun). I usually run about 40 races per year with a couple marathons. I ran 4 marathons in 6 months once, but that was a little extreme, even for me. One of the guys in my training group runs (and wins) 5 or 6 marathons each year, though. I have popped off a few good races at different distances but still haven't had a marathon go really well yet. I think that's what keeps me going.

Currently, I've started to gear up for racing seriously again after a couple years of sporadic training and racing. For a lot of reasons, I wasn't able to train and race consistently for 2003 and 2004 (work, injuries, etc). I was ready to start racing again this past Fall and got a lot of good base in, but had to take it easy because I was beginning to develop a little tendonitis in my right ankle (a little too much too quickly). With that behind me, I'm gearing back up and will hopefully be ready to start racing again in February.

Management of diabetes is a very personal thing with a lot of variability from one individual to the next. The same is true for running. With that said, I realize that what I detail here will not necessarily be transferable to others without a lot of modification. All the same, I will detail what has worked for me (explaining the “how” and “why” if I think I know) in the hopes that some of this information will be helpful to someone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Summary of my diabetes regimen

I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 8 years. My c-peptide is 0 now; it hovered around 0.5 or so for several years (this means that I don’t produce any insulin on my own anymore). My HgbA1c is usually under 6, but sometimes right at 6 or 6.1 (my A1c’s in 2004 were 5.8 and 6.1). I alternate between using an insulin pump and using injections of Lantus and Humalog or Novolog. There are positives and negatives for each, but both methods seem to work well for me. Usually, in the middle of the summer and sometimes in the middle of the winter, I’ll switch from using an insulin pump most of the time to using injections most of the time. The main reason for this switch is because of how the weather extremes ruin my insulin in the pump cartridge during these times of year. Sometimes I switch from one insulin delivery method to another for a more personal reason (i.e. injections because I’ll be laying on the beach in my bathing suit; the pump because I’m at a dinner and don’t want to pull out a needle).

I use about 20 units of insulin per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. My basal rate on my pump delivers about 9 units. When I use Lantus, I take 3 units at bedtime and 5-6 units in the morning (or sometimes I’ll split the morning dose into 4 units at 5:00am and 2 units at 1:00pm). I have pronounced dawn phenomenon and the pump works best for that because I can change the delivery rate to compensate. With Lantus, I have to get out of bed within 9 hours of my bedtime shot and get another shot of Lantus (and sometimes a ½ unit or so of Humalog) or my blood sugar will start climbing rapidly (it can jump from 90 to 250 in 90 minutes).

My insulin dosing is completely intertwined with my training. I run or cross-train every morning and I run most afternoons. As my training and level of fitness increase during a season, I can cut back on my basal rate (or Lantus) but not by much (maybe a unit or so during the day). The biggest difference I experience is in the timing of meals and boluses. The more mileage I run and the better my fitness, the longer the time needed between a meal/insulin and my training run in the afternoon. My morning runs are not affected as much (the dawn phenomenon thing).

A typical day:

5:10am, bg 93, Lantus 4 units, coffee
5:30am, Humalog 1 ½ units, breakfast
6:00am, 8 miles on treadmill
10:00am, bg 114
10:30am, H 4 units, lunch
11:30am, bg 146, H 1 unit
2:00pm, bg 102, L 2 units
4:15pm, ½ Met Rx bar
4:30pm, 8 mile run
5:30pm, bg 100, H ½ unit
6:30pm, H 4 units, dinner
8:45pm, bg 119
9:15pm, bg 137, L 3 units

I usually check my blood sugar 6 or 7 times each day, but have checked it as much as 12 times before. I feel more comfortable micro-managing my blood sugars. Despite the fact that there really isn’t any scientific data that proves that this level of micro-managing is beneficial, I FEEL better about my control (and my mental health with respect to diabetes is very important to me). When I don’t run, my meal-time insulin needs go up. For example, the same breakfast without running might require 4-5 units of Humalog. Another interesting thing I’ve found about dosing insulin with respect to meals and running deals with whether I eat first or run first. If I eat my breakfast first and then run, I use 1-2 units of Humalog. If I run first and then eat, I will need 4 units of Humalog for the same breakfast. In the afternoon, I absolutely have to eat something before I run or I will bottom out (and sometimes I still need a little bit of carbohydrate gel if I run more than an hour). On Saturdays, when I do a long run, I eat something starchy (about 300 calories) and take 2 units of Regular before I run (and I disconnect from my pump if I’m using it). I supplement with a carbohydrate gel beginning about one hour into the run (about 100 calories per 6 miles). I use this same regimen for races, too, modifying a little for a shorter race. A shorter race, for example, may require fewer calories before the race, a longer warm-up run before the race, and possibly a little Humalog just before the race. This kind of set-up would be a disaster for a longer, more aerobic race, though.

One very important item that I want to mention is that I absolutely ALWAYS wear an ID anklet that states that I am a diabetic on insulin and I ALWAYS carry a packet of carbohydrate gel whenever I go running. Carbs – don’t leave home without them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 3: My physiological testing

I have had several treadmill tests, following something called the Bruce protocol or the modified Bruce protocol (or some people call it “treadmill to exhaustion”). I don’t remember the exact details for the test (and each place seems to run the test a little differently) but the idea is that they start you out at an easy run and increase the pace every couple minutes until they bring you up to 10 miles per hour (6:00 minute mile pace). Then they increase the grade by 3% each couple minutes until you completely fatigue and someone has to catch you as you fall down. Fun, huh? I also had a complete panel of physiological testing done at the Human Performance Lab at Duke University. It took 3 days to go through the whole panel of testing. The first day was the treadmill to exhaustion with VO2 max, lactate measurements, other blood chemistries, body composition, and cardiovascular monitoring. The second day was a “familiarization run” on the treadmill (they determined a 75% effort pace). The third day was a 2 hour run at 75% effort with cardiovascular monitoring, gait analysis with joint monitoring with a 7 camera system, blood lactate and blood glucose monitoring, O2 consumption measurement, and muscle EMG monitoring (with electrodes in major muscles).
I ended up with a lot of data that I didn’t really know what to do with, but some of the data was useful.

My treadmill to exhaustion ended as I hit 10 mph with a 9% grade. My max heart rate was 196 (I had hit 201 and 202 before). VO2 max (a measurement of the maximum volume of oxygen your body can extract from the air to use during exercise, expressed as milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute) was 73.5. My lactate threshold (when my lactic acid accumulation rose above 2.5 millimoles which is generally regarded as the level at which your body is accumulating lactic acid faster than you can clear it) was at 9.5 mph. My corresponding heart rate was 148 and my VO2 was about 60. The better your conditioning, the higher percent of your VO2 max you can reach before hitting your lactate threshold. I hit my lactate threshold at about 81% of my max VO2. With better conditioning, I could push that to 90% of my max VO2. The gait analysis, blood chemistries, and EMG analysis from the 2 hour run also suggested that I have good potential. Is anyone interested in any of the other numbers? Just reply with a yes or something.

So, what did all this data tell me? According to my VO2 max, I have the potential to run well. According to my lactate threshold, I am not trained to my potential. I have a lot of aerobic conditioning work to do in order to realize my potential. While it was kind of intriguing to realize that I have all this potential, it was almost disappointing. So, why can’t I run as fast as these tests suggest that I can? Am I just a wimp? So far, the best I can determine from the people with whom I’ve discussed my results is that the answer is multi-faceted. First of all, it can take many years to make an endurance athlete – many consistent years of training. Also, aerobic potential can not be realized without the corresponding muscle strength. Finally, these tests are just predictors of possible potential and don’t guarantee anything. Certain results are usually correlated with certain performances but not always. Sometimes people who have had mediocre results on these batteries of tests have been world class performers. And, likewise, some people have great test results but never race to their predicted level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 4. How my coach and I plan my training/racing

In general, my training is broken down into 2 or 3 seasons per year and each season is designed with the idea that it will build on the previous season while serving as a stepping stone for the next season. A coach is extremely useful in keeping the big picture in mind, both in terms of the season at hand and also in terms of how the athlete’s training is progressing over time. I never start a racing season without sitting down with my coach and outlining on paper a tentative schedule for races and a training plan. We plan out the basic components roughly, leaving open the possibility for modifying the plan as the season progresses. For instance, we may have a half marathon scheduled for halfway through the season, but my long tempo runs are going really well and we decide that I should jump into a half marathon sooner. Or, perhaps, an elite athlete coordinator for a race calls to ask Coach to send a few runners to a race and so a couple of us might go to a different race than we had originally planned. On the other hand, sometimes training doesn’t progress as well as expected and we may need to change to a marathon that is a month later.

The basic components that we incorporate into a training schedule are: races, workouts, mileage, strength training, rest, and nutrition. A season is generally 12 to 18 weeks long, which can allow for as many as 3 seasons each year. When we plan a season, we actually sit down with a blank calendar. First, we select the races. After we’ve set up a tentative racing schedule, we plan the mileage build-ups and cut-downs along with the long runs and long tempo runs. Next, we plot long workout vs. short workout days and strength training days (like weight training, hill work, cadence work on the elliptical, form drills, and stretching exercises). Finally, we plan rest and nutrition. I keep a record in my running log of how many hours of sleep I get each night and when we plan a season, we mark certain weeks to be vigilant about sleep. We also think about points during the season to focus on increasing or decreasing calories, changing protein and carb ratios, etc. In the beginning of the season, as I increase my mileage, I increase my calories and take in a lot of protein. As the season progresses and my races become more competitive, I decrease calories and take in more of my calories from carbohydrates. In the beginning of a season, I might weigh about 117 pounds and toward the end of the season, I will drop my weight to 108. So, I may start the season with a body fat percentage of 13 or 14 and end the season at 8 to 10%.

The planning is already complex and it has been a real challenge to incorporate diabetes into this. Since I train almost year-round, my diabetes regimen assumes that training is the norm and my adjustments are made for breaks. Most people with diabetes make changes in their regimen to incorporate exercise; I make changes in my regimen to incorporate less exercise or no exercise. So, when people ask me how much I decrease my insulin if I’m going to run or how exercise changes my blood sugars later in the day, I don’t have an answer. On a usual day, I run in the morning and again in the afternoon. I make changes when I don’t run. I can empathize with the person who has trouble figuring out how to make changes to incorporate exercise because I have as much trouble incorporating breaks. I need breaks in training, of course, but I dread those breaks because my blood sugars become less predictable and sometimes quite erratic. I almost never get blood sugars over 200 when I’m training hard, but 400+ blood sugars aren’t unheard of when I’m on a break.

There are some important things I’ve discovered about being a diabetic runner. Here are a few random things I’ve learned:
*There is a big difference in how my body utilizes injected insulin at different times of the day. For example, for me, Humalog can take an hour to work in the morning. Also, I am most sensitive to insulin at about 3:00pm.
*A normal blood sugar does not necessarily mean that I have enough insulin on board. I can use up all my glycogen stores in a marathon. When my body starts using ketones and fat stores for energy, I still need some circulating insulin to utilize the energy and to prevent acidosis (and I’m more prone to acidosis during a marathon because I have lactic acid accumulating also).
*For me, a marathon usually requires 2 units of Regular insulin, half a bagel, a few pieces of chocolate, and 3-4 packs of GU or 2 packs of Crank (carbohydrate gels).
*Even non-diabetic runners will spill ketones after a marathon.
*It’s easier for me to learn my blood sugar pattern during training and then follow that pattern during a race so that I don’t need to check my blood sugar during the race. (note: I have a very good feel for my blood sugar level).
*I need to begin using a carbohydrate gel at about 8 miles into a marathon.
*If I begin a run with a high blood sugar, as it starts dropping, I will have to make a bathroom stop.
*Extreme cold weather and extreme hot weather will make my blood sugar drop faster than normal.
*Having a cold can make my blood sugar rise during a run, especially if I have a slight fever.
*Sometimes I have no idea why my blood sugar is high or low.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 5 A: How I train for the marathon with excerpts from my training logs

I decided to break this one up into two parts. First, I’ll summarize the training and then I’ll post examples from my training logs. Before I detail my training, though, I want to point out that there is no single correct program – people are different and we have different strengths and weaknesses. What works for me may not work for someone else. Also, don’t fall into the trap of thinking that running X number of miles per week and/or running X times for certain workouts will equal a particular race result. If you train according to a program that does not work well for you, you could end up injured.

My greatest asset as a runner is endurance. I don’t have a lot of speed, relatively speaking. My coach says that I have two speeds: stop and go. I can run huge amounts of mileage with little or no risk of injury or over-training, but speed work or track work wipes me out and sometimes sets me up for injury. With that in mind, my coach and I plan my training with a focus on high mileage. We’ve tried to work on my weakness (speed) and each time I’ve ended up injured. So, now we focus on my strength and try to chip away at the speed problem very conservatively. I typically run 90 to 100 miles per week when I’m training. When I’m on a break, I usually run anywhere from 30 to 60 miles per week, depending on how I feel and what I’m doing. Transitioning from lower to higher mileage should usually follow a plan of adding about 10-12% per week, but I can usually go from 60 to 80, then up to about 100 without any problem. I like to have at least 3 or 4 weeks of 90 or more miles per week before I start adding any workouts or harder runs.

My weekly schedule usually goes something like this: M, W, F are usually 6 miles in the morning and weight lifting and 8-9 miles in the afternoon (except only 4 or 5 miles on Friday afternoon); T, Th are usually 6 miles in the morning and a workout in the afternoon; Sat is usually a long run, a tempo run, or a race; Sun is usually 8 miles in the morning. Occasionally, I cut a morning run down to 3 miles or I may substitute 40 minutes on the elliptical machine for a morning run. My morning runs are easy runs and I don’t time them. My afternoon runs are at a moderate pace and it depends how I feel – I may run 9 miles in 67 minutes or I may run it in 62 minutes and have put in the same effort.

There are several types of workouts that I will do. I always warm up with about 3 miles of easy jogging. I usually run my workouts on a 1,000 meter long dirt trail loop. I might start the season out with 8 x 1K with a 90 second recovery jog. What this means is I run a 1,000 meter loop (1K) at a faster pace and then jog easily for 90 seconds before starting another loop (until I have done this 8 times). Then I run 2 to 3 miles easy to cool down. Some other types of workouts are hill repeats (running hard up a 200 meter hill, jogging back down, then running hard up the hill again, etc), tempo runs (running a certain distance at a set pace that is slower than race pace, but just a little faster than what would be comfortable), or a workout on the track (usually sets of certain distances at certain paces with short recovery jogs). Two typical track workouts that I do are (1) 2 or 3 sets of 4 x 400 and 1 x mile or (2) 6 hot and cold 1Ks (1,000 meters fast followed by 1,000 meters at marathon pace for recovery).

Different workouts are meant to work different systems and, hopefully, make me a stronger and faster runner. Tempo runs are the easiest for me, but I tend to overdo them (sometimes I end up putting in a race level effort into a tempo run – the effort would have been better spent on a race). I don’t mind hill repeats so much either. Track workouts are my least favorite. But, as my coach always says, the track doesn’t lie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 6: How I manage my diabetes when I race a marathon

First, I need to clarify that I am not racing a marathon with the goal of simply finishing as my main concern. Of course, finishing is always an achievement in and of itself, but I am racing against the other competitors for finish place (and for prize and time bonus money) and so my diabetes management has to take into consideration clock management during the race. Two seconds can mean the difference between winning and losing and the difference between making a championships team and not making one. I say that because two seconds has placed me 4th before and meant the difference of not making a team (top 3), having a payday of $1,000 less, and having all of the ESPN audience view me tripping over the 3rd place woman at the finish line (after she collapsed). Two seconds…at the end of a 26.2 mile race. I can’t take the time to stop and check my blood sugars while I race. I can’t carry a meter and test strips. I’ll be disqualified if anyone even hands me something while I’m racing. I have to be prepared and practiced on race day. I run practice runs, testing out carb products, water ratios, insulin requirements, etc, etc, etc. I have my pattern mapped out and I have a strategy worked out with contingencies built in. Then, on race day, I follow the plan. Most of the time it works fine, but not always. I’ve had miscalculations and errors. One time, I was trying to take my insulin before the race and didn’t want to take off my sweats yet so I gave myself a shot through the pants. To make a long story short, I didn’t get the shot in deep enough, I ended up with too little insulin, my blood sugar skyrocketed during the race, and I ran the worst race of my career, short of dropping out. And it was very painful! I’ve had other goofs and I’ve had things go wrong before where I never could figure out why.

My basic strategy goes something like this: I wake up about 2 hours before the race, check my blood sugar, disconnect from my pump, and take a shot of 4 units of lantus. If my blood sugar is over 100, I might take a half unit of Humalog before I disconnect from my pump. About an hour before the race, I’ll start drinking some coffee. Typically, the race staff has travel to the start line and stuff like that planned out for the elite athletes and they take us to the elite athlete center about an hour before the race (usually in some building near the start line). I bring all my running and diabetes stuff with me. About 40 minutes before the race starts, I take 2 units of Regular, and eat half a bagel (preferably with butter). Then, I start jogging toward the start line and get about 10 minutes of light jogging in (and a bathroom stop or two). About 5 minutes before the start, I’ll take off my sweats, eat a piece of chocolate or two (or 10 m&m’s) and do some strides on the road until the start. It’s so important that I start out at an easy pace! I’m better off starting at a pace slower than what I plan to run (I usually start the race with my blood sugar around 200). I don’t want to do anything that might cause me to build up any lactic acid, so I need to let my blood sugar begin dropping before I pick up the pace (usually a mile or two). Sometimes I feel a little stiff and slow until my blood sugar starts to come down. You might wonder why I don’t just start the race with a lower blood sugar. For a shorter race, like a 5K race (3.1 miles), I would start with a near normal blood sugar, but not exactly because of the shorter length of the race; rather, I start with a lower blood sugar because of the more anaerobic effort for a faster paced race like a 5K. For a marathon, I need to start with a higher blood sugar or I will crash. I’ve tried different strategies and the one that works best for me is to start with a blood sugar around 200 and then begin using a carbohydrate gel at about 8 miles. I take in about 100 calories of carbohydrate gel every 6 miles for the rest of the race (about 3 packs of GU or 2 packs of Crank). I kind of nibble a little bit at a time as I go. Sometimes I might use a little more than 3 packs of GU. I usually carry 4 packs of GU with me just in case. I clip 2 packs in my sport bra with those little black office binder clips and I carry one pack in each hand. I drink water at every water stop. Elite athletes are able to have special water bottles placed on special tables so that we can have our own concoctions available, but I usually just carry my GU and drink the same water out of the same paper cups as everyone else. I’ve seen people put together the weirdest brews of drinks! The strangest one was flat Coke with salt and a half of a caffeine pill. Yuk!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 7: Injuries

Being injured is one of the worst things an athlete can experience. You have to deal with self-doubt, worry, frustration, etc. Diabetic athletes also have to figure out how to adjust blood sugar control in the face of an altered exercise schedule. Do you cross-train, how will that affect insulin dosing, how many more/less carbs does swimming take, will your injury heal slower if your blood sugars run high????? There are endless extra questions that we have to deal with as diabetic athletes and injuries or illness nearly send me over the edge! I generally try to take the approach of being conservative so as to avoid injury at all cost. You can’t train if you’re injured and if you can’t train, you can’t compete….

I have had two major injuries in my running career and one illness. I have had lots of interference with training and racing because of work, school, family matters, etc, though, and, like everyone else, I have had minor injuries from time to time and nagging aches and pains, but I have managed to stay fairly healthy for a runner. Neither of the two major injuries I’ve had in my career were from overtraining.

My first injury was something called an avulsion fracture on the lower part of my left tibia due to a severe ankle twist while running on trails. An avulsion fracture is when a muscle or tendon is pulled away from its attachment to the bone, taking part of the top layer of bone with it. It was painful. The x-rays also showed that I had arthritis in my left ankle (talo-navicular arthritis). The timing of this injury could not have been worse – ten weeks before Olympic Trials.

My second injury was in the Fall of 2002. The initial injury occurred during a track workout when someone just walked out in front of me as I was rounding a turn during an interval. I pulled my hamstring trying to avoid him. I may have been okay, but over the next several weeks I continued to train hard and developed something called obturator neuritis, which is an inflammation of a group of muscles and the nerve bundles imbedded in those muscles. The muscle group, the obturators, travel through your pelvis; the obturator bundle of nerves and your sciatic nerve are imbedded in the muscles. Inflammation inside your pelvis is not a good thing. I was out of running for 4 months (the first 5 weeks I couldn’t even cross-train). I still have occasional residual pain that flares up when I over-do things a little.

Rehabilitation was very different for each of these injuries. The avulsion fracture seemed awful at the time, but was nothing compared to the obturator injury. I was able to run through the avulsion fracture (I even ran 100 mile weeks), but I could only handle running slowly. I kept my leg wrapped and was allowed to let pain be my limiting factor. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, though, and ran 100 mile weeks on what was basically the same as a stress fracture. It was not much fun, but Olympic Trials in ten weeks served as a pretty good motivator. I needed a lot of physical therapy for the obturator injury and as much as I can tolerate pain, I literally could not run with that injury. Walking was difficult. Actually, many things were difficult with that injury.

Although not an injury, I have had one other major training set-back: the flu. I am not talking about a little virus or a cold that gets a little nasty. I had the real thing and I was sick! I really did not recover completely for almost 6 months. Everyone with diabetes should get the flu shot every year because the flu is so debilitating that it takes months to recover. I will also always stay up-to-date with my pneumovax. The flu was definitely worse than any injury I’ve ever had.

As I had said earlier, I have minor injuries here and there: tendonitis, tight hamstrings, IT band soreness, a little plantar fasciitis, blisters, toenail injuries, etc. I take steps to try to prevent any of these nagging problems from turning into major injuries. I stretch daily (usually 20 to 30 minutes every night before bed), I get sport massages as often as I can, I lift weights for core body strength, I practice form drills to prevent imbalances, I try to get plenty of sleep, and I eat healthy and take vitamin and mineral supplements. I think that the stretching and weight lifting are really important for me, but sleep and nutrition really make a difference, too. I keep track of how many hours of sleep I get each night. I don’t let it get out of hand. I’ll take a day off from training if I have to and sleep later and go to bed earlier.

Go to Top of Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Part 8: Where do I see myself going with all this?

The main reason that I agreed to do these posts was because I thought I might actually have something useful to share with other diabetic athletes. I can remember how frustrated I was when I was trying to figure this out on my own. I was afraid to try and I was afraid to give up. I wasn’t even sure what I should be afraid of! I learned almost everything about managing my diabetes on my own – I even learned injection technique from a book! I was the epitome of the patient who fell through the cracks. While all of us really want to pick up information that will help us figure out our own little problems and help us tweak our own little programs, we really have a responsibility to help each other out. I remember the first diabetes conference I ever went to was a DESA conference (it was actually IDAA then) and one of the presentations was by a young lady who was a diabetes educator and she did this interactive thing with everyone about things we have learned about our diabetes that nobody taught us. She started out by saying that she had learned that even though Humalog was supposed to start acting in 10 to 15 minutes, it could take as long as an hour for her. I remember thinking to myself, “wow, me too!!” One person after another had stories and discoveries to share. And a light bulb went off in my head…. If there are things that I cannot learn from anyone other than another person with diabetes, then I have a responsibility to disseminate information also.

I have tried to share a lot of general information here that I’ve learned from running and training. I would be glad to share more specific information. If there are specific questions or if someone would just like me to expand on something I’ve already mentioned, let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting all 8 parts. I enjoyed reading them all. And, if nothing else, it is nice to know that other Type 1 diabetics have similar day to day and training challenges that I have. Sometimes you think you are the only person facing certain dilemmas.

Barb's Race in Santa Rosa, CA was my first half Ironman. My blood sugar was 166 prior to the swim start, which was exactly where I wanted to be. The swim went great! At the first aid station on the bike, I stopped to test and was 250. I took 2 units of Humalog. At the second aid stop, an hour later, I tested again and was 244. Instead of waiting, I decided to take another 2 units. That was a BAD mistake.

When I got into T2, my blood sugar was 37 and I don't exactly remember getting my running shoes on. Somehow I did and got some food and drink right outside the transition area. However, I had no energy and I ended up walking the first six miles of the run. I was eating at every aid stop and it took me those six miles to get my blood sugar up to 90.

I still finished the race, albeit, an hour slower than what I had planned. And I learned and a lot also. That second dose of Humalog did me in. I should have "let it ride" a while longer before determining if I needed more Humalog.

I tell people, in regards to training for an Ironman, that I am a walking experiment. It is all trial and error.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was pointed to your thread, very very good, thanks... I really liked the "*Sometimes I have no idea why my blood sugar is high or low " and she experiences a lot of common things that I do, specially taking breaks from training, etc etc

Someone else said something I consider THE most important and positive thing about being a diabetic, it makes you get very very aware of everything it happens with your body, sleep, nutrition, training, weather, mood, etc etc, you get MUCH more sensitive to those situations than a non diabetic athlete, so point for us. Diabetes has taught me also to be very disciplined, determined, and don´t take life for granted, if you get a look at the big picture, diabetes is NOTHING (if you manage it properly), just go to your local hospital and have a look around, diabetics people are the "lucky ones", so don´t take it as frustration as you said, be positive...

I have type 1 since march 2000, I have done 5 IM´s and went to the podium at all of them, one sub 9hour (8h52 for 10th overall at IMB 2006), so I´m doing OK and am really really looking foward now that I´ve quit one of my jobs to get extra training time and see where I can get fitness wise.

If you ask me wheter diabetes holds my potential, i would definitely say Yes for some situations, but NO for others, so I try to schedule my races and training for the NO parts and avoid the YES situations but also learn from it and control it as much as i can.

I try to run a website too, but i´m too lazy to update it as often as I should, www.geocities.com/triathlondiabetes

Get in touch,

Vinnie

vinitri at hotmail dot com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie you sorted out the high blood sugar during standard distance races?

and yeah i suffer too from the not knowing why im high or low. just seems to happen. i seem to have real probs controlling my blood sugars over night. i think at one stage i must have been going low every night then rebounding cos i reduced my nite humulin n and was low when i woke up.

can be pretty random sometimes.
Last edited by: fulla: Oct 27, 06 23:21
Quote Reply