Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DA Brake Thingie
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know the purpose of the set screw and "wing" below the brake pad holder on DA brakes?

It seems like it's just added weight waving out in the breeze...

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the set screw you are talking about is for minor adjustments for the brake over the wheel. The Wingy is the piece that allows the caliper to be expanded to remove the wheel
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [ejohns3992] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I believe the set screw you are talking about is for minor adjustments for the brake over the wheel. The Wingy is the piece that allows the caliper to be expanded to remove the wheel

Thanks. But...

I'm not talking about the "centering" set screw. The one I'm wondering about is in the wing. It doesn't touch anything. And, why is a wing needed to spread the caliper to remove the wheel? Doesn't the return spring accomplish this when you loosen the cam lever on the cable?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Different wingy thing he is talking about I think. Actually part of the pad, no? No idea what that is for.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The set screw just holds the pad in place after you slide it into the groove in the calipers. Is that the set screw you are talking about. It is a minor piece, but I suppose if you went really fast in reverse and slammed on the brakes, without the set screw the pads would go shooting out into space like bullets... Could happen I guess.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> The set screw just holds the pad in place after you slide it into the groove in the calipers.

Thanks. But...

That's not the screw I'm talking about either. The wing is below the pad (and pad holder); the screw is in the wing and if it were longer would scrape the rim closer to the hub than the braking surface. (Follow the red arrow below.)

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Oct 26, 06 11:06
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> The Wingy is the piece that allows the caliper to be expanded to remove the wheel.

Oops, Sorry ejohns, I misread your post. Justin's right, we're talking about different parts. What you called a wingy, I called a cam lever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's only plastic - when it pops out you know that your pads are too worn!

I think the wingy is a holdout from the old days when there was a big wingy that was there to save your fingers when you were trying to center the brakes. several pad designs out there that don't have it.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Martin C: Oct 26, 06 11:41
Re: DA Brake Thingie [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When your pads are worn and the plastic makes contact with your rim, it'll make a heinous noise, prompting you to change your pads!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bad. Looking on the Shimano Technical doc, they are calling it a tire guide????? But have to agree probably a wear indicator. I have emailed my brother at Shimano for more info
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> it's only plastic - when it pops out you know that your pads are too worn!

Thanks, cyclenutnz!

Ahhh! (light bulb goes on...)

That screw does look like it's plastic. With a really worn brake pad, it looks like it would contact the rim before the metal brake pad holder gouged the wheel.

Thanks all who responded. :-)

EDIT: Arrgh, two minutes late with this post. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Oct 26, 06 11:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the wing is for heat dissipation. Not a big deal for most of us, but dropping from 100kph to 20kph to make that hard left coming out of a descent in the Alps is gonna heat up your brakes a lot.

I always thought the screw was something like a damper for vibrations from braking.

All these are just guesses though...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I believe the wing is for heat dissipation. Not a big deal for most of us, but dropping from 100kph to 20kph to make that hard left coming out of a descent in the Alps is gonna heat up your brakes a lot.

Now that's interesting! Hadn't thought of that either...

But, the surface area of the wing seems negligible compared to the rest of the brake caliper and rim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it creates more downforce on the pads at higher speeds so that it requires less finger strenght to apply the brakes. Kind of like the wings on race cars.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the wings also guide the wheel in place when you are replacing it on the run
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> it creates more downforce on the pads at higher speeds so that it requires less finger strenght to apply the brakes. Kind of like the wings on race cars.

Ummm, Riiiight. Next you'll be telling me that Floyd's aerobar position creates lift on the front wheel to reduce rolling resistance.... ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You believed Rappstar but not me :(

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> You believed Rappstar but not me :(

Well...I guess I just believe that he has actually ridden 100kph. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: DA Brake Thingie [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. It's just two sloping surfaces to guide the tire back between the brake pads so that you can effect a quick tire change after a flat.

They're ramps which help the tire drop back into place on its own when you replace the wheel rather than needing to put a hand up there every time to ensure the tire goes between the pads and doesn't get jammed against the pad holders.
Quote Reply