Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For how long will the benefit of base period(big miles) last?
Quote | Reply
Winter months (december to march) is usually what we call base, endurance period, where we log the big miles and yardage. But if my A race is an IM in August, will I still benefit from the tons of mileage-yardage I put 7 months ago? Were are supposed to put big mileage-yar for about 12 weeks, and then cut down, so It seems to me that you will loose some of that endurance needed for the IM event.
Quote Reply
Re: For how long will the benefit of base period(big miles) last? [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not turn the training pyramid upside down a little bit? Build up to a manageable level, so some higher intensity and shorter stuff through the winter, and then with the last 16 or so weeks, really work on your IM build-up. Keep the long rides and runs at manageable distances of something like 3-4 hours and 1.5 hours.

Depending on where you live and how the climate is, it may not be very possible or enjoyable to put in long base miles throughout the winter. With people having to sign up for an IM a year in advance, it seems to be more and more common that by the time you are 10-12 weeks, sometimes more, out from the event you are already feeling fried from the past 4-6 months of training. Just getting to the starting line in a good frame of mind is a challenge.

I think that there have been some posts about this type of training on here before, buy you might have to search for them a little bit.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: For how long will the benefit of base period(big miles) last? [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have obviously never heard the phrase -"it's never to early to start training for next year" Get at it. Times a wasting. A solid aerobic base will stay with you for months, perhaps years.

Off season is a bit of a missnomer. I never really liked the term. Yes, people should take a few weeks break after their big A or end-of-season race, but I have always found it funny how people approach the off-season. Why loose all that fitness you have just built up. Why not start out at that level and build to a higher one? This is of course if performance improvement is important to you.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Oct 26, 06 10:25
Quote Reply