Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 California x Honu??
Quote | Reply
can some one tell me if Honu is harder than California.

I mean on bike and run course.

I did CA in2005 now I was thinking on Honu 2007.

any suggestion or comment?

tks
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 California x Honu?? [bratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it matter? Everyone rides the same course, so it only matters if you are PR-chasing.

I haven't done CA. I've done Honu, and I wouldn't call it hard by any stretch. But you make anything hard by pushing yourself. And it's the crap rain in CA and boiling heat/humidity in HI that are the real issues.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Last edited by: Aztec: Oct 24, 06 20:05
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 California x Honu?? [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes it matter.

where I live there are no Hills, so is very hard for me the hilly courses.

CA was OK for me, but I dont know about HI, the temperature is not problem, here is warmer and humid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honu,

Swim: At Hapuna, much better than Oside Harbor

Bike: Hot and windy and sometimes a little rain (coin toss)

Run: Not as boring as the PCH strand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done them both 2 times and I think the bike courses are of similar difficulty/hills/wind. The start of California is a bit flatter, but the hills on the honu aren't as steep (in my opinion), but the hills on the honu are longer. It's an out and back course, so you get to go down the same long hill you go up (as long as you are ready to pedal down the hill and not ride the breaks this is a good thing).

The run on the Honu is way tougher in my opinion. It's on and off a golf course with very soft grass for a few miles, then a brief section on sand. The hills aren't long enough to get a rythm going up or down. Then the last 4 miles are an out and back in the lava fields, and the way back is slightly uphill.

I will never do California again because the swim sucks (as well as the weather for the most part). Now if you want/need to wear a wetsuit to help your swim, Honu will be difficult. The honu swim is also a mass start, but there is plenty of space for people to spread out, but it can be tight around the first buoy which is more than a 90 degree turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you do Honu you'll never go back ;-)