Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST Wildflower Racers
Quote | Reply
How many of you dudes are doing Wildflower in 2007? When does registration open and what are the chances of getting in...I'm trying to map out some racing for 2007 and putting it on the calendar early so that family and work are OK with it!

I found that having St. Croix on my calendar in 2006 really gave me a jump start on tri training. Normally, I stop swimming and biking from Oct 1 to April 1 (the April fool's tri program), aside from some bike commuting, focusing exclusively on XC skiing and running.

OK, now back to doughboyland till Nov 21 :-)

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it starts in November for multiple Wildflower racers, and then in Dec. for the masses. Don't worry Dev, the race did not fill up last year, just closed a month before the race. You will not be closed out. It should be a great race this year too, 25th anniversary. Plan to rent a motorhome though, and do it early because there is a big run on them that time of year around there. Otherwise, just bring your backpacking gear, and you can crash at my pad there.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I assume you are doing the half. I am considering the Oly for the third time. 25th. Guess I might have to do. And yes, I always do this in my motor home and boy does it make it nice when its killer hot there. Would be kinda cool if we could get a ST area somehow.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get a mobile home, you will want to show up no later than Thursday morning (even that is questionable) if you want hookups.

I might head back down this year to cheer folks on up on Nasty Grade. I need to buy a new wife to bring to help cheer. My last g/f popped my original one :(

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay, you are not going to do the race?

2 years ago I brought my motor home up on a Sat, and got a pad with hookups. Boy was I lucky that year.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

The race opens Dec 1st. as Monty said it did not sale out till late in 2006. The race is hard but the party after makes it worth the pain. Our Party is just as hard as the race... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I'd fly in from Ottawa to SFO on Wed before the race and get to Lake San Antonio on Wed afternoon to get some open water swimming in as well as spin the legs on the bike. Then fly home Sunday nite on the red-eye, back at work on Monday morning. Crashing at Monty's pad alone is a good enough reason to be there. Consider myself 99% in. I just got to sell my wife on it when I get home in 2 weeks from the China-Japan biz trip that I am now on. It should be a low cost trip as I would use airline pts. Maybe we can fly in some of the NorthEast squad like Triyoda and Kus and have an "east meets west" smackdown :-). The WOMENS better watch out as we are working on getting Jonnyo to Wildflower too! This alone should be a good reason for a California Quake, which is what happened when Jonnyo was on the Big Island.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [Madscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wildflower is a classic. I have not done it since 1996. I'm itching to get back there just as much for the social scene as the racing! Let's see if I can recruit a group of posers from this way to head over!
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not. It usually does not fit into my season well. I will usually ride the course ahead of the pros, giving myself 15 minutes and then stopping on nasty grade to cheer until I am sunburned, then ride the course back to the campgrounds.

Plus last time I race I broke my foot and I cannot have that happen this year with the state TT happening 5 weeks after WF.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev, that sounds great, I always have some tent space..Word of caution though when booking a SUnday flight. Unless you leave before 8am, you cannot get out of the park until about 3pm or so. Calculate in your drive time to the airport, and you should book something after 7pm at the earliest. There are no exceptions either, if you sleep in, you are stuck. We always stay and watch the olympic race, and have a lazy breakfast with a little of the hair of the dog from the night before......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is a great race if you like the outdoors. come on down!

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the Olympic sells out well before the Half Ironman?

I will probably do one or the other. Never been to Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there.

Quote | Reply
Monty, I'll take the 10 pm red eye flt on Sunday evening out of SFO to Toronto or Montreal and then connect to Ottawa...that gets me back to work by 9 am and I don't have to burn an additional vacation day. I'd prefer to hang out till late on Sunday after watching the olympic tri, so if I leave at 4 pm, that gets me to SFO airport in plenty of time. I'd likely just rent a car for Wed-Sun out of SFO. If you have tent space, that saves me packing mine. I just need to throw down my air mattress and I am good to go. I'm already getting pumped thinking about this event. It should be a good time. I'll start working on the other local tristuds when I get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, it is a great and challenging race. Please don't bring Jonnyo though. I am having images of Henri from "Cheers" telling Woody...."Woody I am going to steal your girlfriend" in that suave French accent.

-Woody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, it is a good thing to allow extra time when you leave after the Oly. There will be 3000 people trying to leave out the one lane road also. The good thing is, some folks go south :)

Reverend Dr. Jay

Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done the race since '97, want to redeem my "run", I mean walk. Planning on driving down from Kelowna sometime that week in my VW Westfalia, hopefully she makes 'er. Don't need hook-ups though, my bro's got a 2000 watt generator, are these legal in Cali? (I know BBQ fluid isn't). Are there usually lots of unpowered sites come Friday? It would be cool to meet some ST'ers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there on Wednesday...as others have mentioned, camp spots get pretty scarce on Thursday.

I did the Oly last year, but this year am stepping up to the long course. I'm looking forward to testing myself on Beach Hill and Nasty Grade, then enjoying some cold beers on Saturday night.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could just do St. Croix again and have a ringside seat to the smackdown!

Afterwards i'll change my handle to 'ItseasyToSmackdownItseazy.'
Quote Reply
Re: ST Wildflower Racers [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eganski, I can do the entire Wildflower trip for under $500. St. Croix will run well over $1500. Plus, I'd like to be back at the Woodstock scene! That being said, the thought of the St. Croix no wetsuit swim in the ocean is very appealing.

Dev
Quote Reply