Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice!
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I know this sounds a bit like a sick dream, but here we go:

I'm 19 years old and from Denmark, and I would like to go to the US spring 2008 to train and get some education. I wants to study some coaching, either as a swimming coach or as a triathlon coach. Is this possible..? I will turn 21 in oct. 2008. I finish high school next summer, and then I will be in the army till december 2007. So after there I have to find something to do, and a trip to US has always been a dream. And if I could educate a bit, and train a lot at the same time it could be really cool!

Schmidt-DK

---
Long Distance PB: 8:25
Instagram: larsschmidttri
Last edited by: Schmidt-DK: Oct 23, 06 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the US [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes--what you want to do is entirely possible, assuming you can get a student visa.

Go after your dreams and don't let the first person who says no discourage you.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to the US [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think it is possible to get a student visa. But I need advice on where to stay, who to contact and so on!

---
Quote Reply
Re: Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice! [Schmidt-DK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, you would do well staying somewhere in the North East. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great cities all over the country, but the north east has a lot of them really close together with varied styles and cultures. On any given weekend you could visit Washington D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, or Boston.

.....thats my 2 cents.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few places come to mind: Boulder, San Diego, and Austin, to name three. As far as I know, these places have large athlete communities and schools where you could take courses. Also, the weather will be good in the spring.

I think we need to know more details about what exactly you want to study. Do want to learn how to be a coach? Do you want to work with a coach of your own? When you say you want to get some education, do you mean at a school or with an individual? I don't know of schools that offer programs on coaching, but perhaps there are.

Good luck with your dream.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice! [Sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answers!

I want to study human physiology, or maybe if I could get a job as a swimming coach (have been learning kids to swim in Denmark for the last 7 years). Just so I has something to do besides training! I talked to my supervisor at school, and she told my that it would be better for me to work as something related to my dream job (and that is being a coach in either swimming or triathlon(hopefully for elite athletes)), because it would look good in my papers, that I worked aboard.

So after the talk with my supervisor I have narrowed it down to a job as a coach (or work together with a coach as a trainee) and a place where I can train with some fast boys. I'm running 16.08 on 5 k, and swimming 17.20 on 1500 meters.. So if I could get to a place where I could train with some serious ITU distance athletes, that would be sooooo cool!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maine is a nice place.

I'm at U Maine at Orono, and am studying kinesiology/phys ed. You can focus in either health/fitness, athletic training, or teaching/coaching.

Orono is a good location - only an hour from Bar Harbor, which is an awesome place to train.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the weather in Orono in the spring..? Is there a club in Bar Harbor..?

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Orono weather... spring temps 40-60, it usually will be 70-80 in the summer. We have cold winters with lots of snow, fall is absolutely gorgeous with same temps as spring.

Not a triathlon club specificially, but Mount Desert Island (which has Bar Harbor and several other harbors) is one of the most scenic spots, with tons and tons of active people. There are a couple good bike shops and one of them has a couple group rides throughout the week. Swimming - open water there's Echo Lake, and the local Y has a pool - it's not that great of a pool, but the mens HS swim team has won the state championship meet several times in the past few years, and has sent lots of swimmers to Y nationals. Running - 55 miles of beautiful carriage trails, and the area has produced some incredibly gifted runners: we have two guys currently training with at ZAP fitness, an elite training center (one of them just ran a 2:24 at Chicago). So there are definitely people to train with, and it's just an awesome place.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good for me! Do you (or anybody else somewhere else in the US) know some people I could contact if I wants to "work" as a trainee in a club.?

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand what you mean by 'work as a trainee in a club.'

Does that mean like an assistant coach?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes a bit like an assistant coach. That would be cool, but the headcoach has to know that he needs to learn me things, but I have experience with taking splits and so on!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing I can think of is an asst coach to some of the college coaches here.

Do you want to come here as a college student? That was my impression when you said something along the lines of 'getting an education.' If so, you'd be able to compete on a college team if you wished - swimming or running... but if you just want to come to the US to visit, and kind of work as an asst coach, you'll probably run into financial issues. They won't pay you to asst coach!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At first I was really liked the idea of getting an education, but after talking to the supervisor at school, she somewhere talked me out of it. I won't worry about the financial issues yet - I have saved some money for a couple of years now. So my main goal is getting some good training and some thing for my papers (don't know if you call them CV overseas)!

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For studying in the US as a foreigner, the fulbright program is a good place to start. I used their resources when I wanted to find a program for graduate school in the US several years ago. They may have an office in Denmark, usually this is connected with the US Embassy. However, now they also have pretty good information on the web.

One resource for you is http://www.iie.org/...eign_Student_Program

Also, you can google fulbright for a list of online sources.

It is just a thought, but if you were to apply for a sports/oriented program (physiotherapy etc) you could probably also apply to work with a coaching team and earn a small stipend. This was what my wife was doing before we moved to europe last year. That way you get to work on your education AND learn to coach at the same time. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the former USA Triathlon National Training center in Clermont Florida? It is fairly cheap there and you have great weather for training year round. There are still quite a few good triathletes and swimmers training at that facility and a fully staffed human performance lab. I am sure that they would work out some type of internship if you were willing to be flexible. There is great riding in the area and you could learn quite a bit from the physiologists there. Also, University of Central Florida is in the are and you could take some exercise physiology courses there. There are more triathlons in that area than anywhere else in the US. You could race every weekend for 8-10 months of the year.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice! [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This occurred to me too. Does anyone have a contact name in Clermont for our Danish friend?

If your training will be in the spring, I would head for Florida rather than Maine. I love Maine, and used to live there, but riding in March and April can be pretty frigid. Also, you won't find many ITU athletes living there.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to US (spring 2008), looking for advice! [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like heaven to me ;)

Can you give me a website or an e-mail on someone I can contact.? Thanks alot for the tip:D

---
Quote Reply