Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me compare: Assos Airjack 851 versus Descente with Windstopper
Quote | Reply
With the idea of doing some winter riding, I'm looking for a good winter jacket for both training and commuting. I'd be riding down to about -12C (about 10F). I get warm, fast, so I was looking at the two above jackets (I know the Fugu is rated lower, but frankly I don't think I'll need it).

I was pretty single-minded about the Assos, but my LBS is having a sale on Descente jackets with windstopper-like fabric (likely last year's jackets). I didn't catch the model name, but the look and feel seems similar to the Airjack (which the LBS pointed out, but that's not surprising given that they don't carry Assos). My reticence around the Assos is that it's more than twice the price, and I'd be pretty pissed to fall and tear a jacket that nice!

Any thoughts or experience I can draw on?
Last edited by: mfreeman72: Oct 23, 06 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Help me compare: Assos Airjack 851 versus Descente with Windstopper [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to be any help....but I am also in the market for some winter riding gear. I was on the Assos site this morning, and followed it to a US dealer (one of the Mpls MN stores). I had no idea their stuff was so expensive. Over $300 for tights? Over $500 for a jacket? That is crazy. Their prices make Craft look inexpensive.....
Quote Reply
Re: Help me compare: Assos Airjack 851 versus Descente with Windstopper [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a number of Sierra Designs items with windstopper, and it is exceptional. It will meet your needs (and more) for cycling.

I hate bulky items, so I wear a windstopper fleece even on the windiest days when I'm standing for hours at the top of a ski race. As an outer layer, it's keeps me warm when it's -30C and windy. I do not feel the wind at all.
Quote Reply