Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How does one qualify for Kona?
Quote | Reply
So how does one qualify for Kona? I noticed the qualifying race links on the IM website, but I couldn't find any info on how to qualify.

What do you have to place in a qualifier IM or 70.3 to get a spot in Kona? What are the different ways to get a spot?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How does one qualify for Kona? [Picklepork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you need to ask.....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: How does one qualify for Kona? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say I wanted to qualify. I'm curious how all those currently in Kona got their spot.

Then again, maybe someday I too can run across the finish line w/ my stroller, kids, wife, dog, mother-in-law, etc...... then fall to my knees and cry tears of happiness while blocking all the other finishers :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finish another IM race in about the top 5 of your age group.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what Record10 said. race certain Ironman affiliated races, mainly Ironman distance, sometimes half ironman, finish a certain placing or higher in your age group and get a spot.

-also enter the Ironman lottery every year and if you're lucky...

-buy a spot off of the ebay charity auction for $20K+...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be a little more specific, each qualifier race is given so many spot, and they will be divided among the age groups according to # of competitors in the age groups.

Example, if an IM has X number of spots, and there are 10 people in the W18-24 age group, maybe only the first and maybe second place finishers in that age group will get a spot, but look at the M35-39 which has 700 people registered, than maybe the first 11 spots will be qualifiers.

It depends on how many Kona spots a race has, and the distribution of races among the divisions. The number of spots per age group is usually made known, at least tentatively before the race.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) For 70.3 races you pretty much have to win your age group.

2) For ironman races you have to finish in the top 3-5% of your age group if there are more than 50 in your age group. If not more than 50 then see 1 above.
Quote Reply