Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cam Brown is one slippery mofo
Quote | Reply
Using the data at 2peaks.com and anayltic cycling

I estimate Cam Brown's CdA to be 0.204 compared to Al-Sultan's 0.27

Cam finished the course averaging 215 watts for average speed of 24.6 mph

Al Sultan averaged 274 watts for average speed of 24.7 mph

http://www.2peak.com/srm/srm_kona_2006/hawaii.php?graph=data_miles&send=ok&vars%5Balsultan%5D=alsultan&vars%5Bbrown%5D=brown&vars%5Bbell%5D=bell&vars%5Bmontgomery%5D=montgomery
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [DoubleTrouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cam's CdA is NOT 0.204. That is the value that someone like a pursuit rider would have for their pursuit position with no derailleur, disc wheel, no shifters, etc. What that means is that a 7m front-to-front draft zone is not effective at keeping the race fair.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well then he is one smart mo fo. Staying within the legal draft and using a lot less watts to get pulled along the Queen K express.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, that seems like a pretty dramatic difference in power output to be purely explained by aerodynamics. Would that it were true, but I think we all know what is really happening....
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drafting is aerodynamics.

If Cam is smart enough to play within the rules so be it. His effective CdA based on his position in the pack and power output was 0.204 whether caused by the "draft" or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes you wonder why they would want their wattage posted at all...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly. I don't fault Cam at all for taking advantage of the rules as they stand, and I will certainly give him the benefit of the doubt on observing the set zone. I just think this sort of information might give some leverage when it comes time to actually evaluating the rules as they stand. At least, I'll hope it does...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drafting is aerodynamics.

True; I should have been more descriptive then as to what I meant....which, and I'm just guessing here, you know as well....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"What that means is that a 7m front-to-front draft zone is not effective at keeping the race fair."

the data would seem to suggest that, wouldn't it? not only did he not have exceedingly low watts, likewise the HR, at 141 over the whole race.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes you wonder why they would want their wattage posted at all...

What will be interesting to see is if anyone calls Cam on it and what his response might be....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapp,

How come you aren't racing today? Are you doing the half im championships in November?
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [gigs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not racing today because I didn't qualify. I haven't ever raced an IM... does that me less credible as a human being?! ;)

The 70.3 is my distance for now. I'd like to be really fast at the half before I take on a new challenge. I think that long term, the faster I get racing halfs, the more it will benefit me when I move up. I'm looking forward to Clearwater, which I am racing. I think it'll be a heckuva race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't trying to be pejorative. I saw you in HIM Florida and was pulling for you all the way. Good luck in Clearwater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cam finished the course averaging 215 watts for average speed of 24.6 mph
Powermeters are sometimes wrong. That is almost certainly bad data. There isn't THAT much of a draft out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Cam Brown is one slippery mofo [gigs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't think you were being pejorative. It was just a joke given that IM is sort of the holy grail of this forum (or at least seems to be), so I was just poking fun at that. I'm sorry if my reply made you think I thought you were thinking in a pejorative train of thought. I hoped my universal internet sign of humor - ;) - would have indicated that I was thinking that you were thinking in a supportive and thoughtful manner of thinking. This whole post, of course, is somewhat ridiculous (intentionally). :)

Are you racing Clearwater as well?

Quote Reply