Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speedplay Greasin Part II
Quote | Reply
OK, I did like Sergio said and got my syringe from the drug store and pulled out my Polylube 1000, loaded the syringe, stood in front of the speedplay with my needlenose pliers -- and the goofy black pop-off thing won't pop. Are we talking about the roundy little black plastic/rubber circle at the end of the pedal? I've tried pliers, scissors, you name it, but all I'm doing is scratching the cevil out of the thing. What am I doing wrong? Or am I the popless wonder?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [slo-mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.speedplay.com/...?fuseaction=home.x3d

Do you see the screw on the end of the pedal?

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no need to pop out the black thingy - just jam the tip of the syringe into the screw hole and get pumpin'. Fill 'er up until clean grease comes out the other side.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am afraid that he is not seeing the screw because the slots are filled with dirt.

Sometimes you need a big needle to clean the screw slots. The slots may become so clogged that it is hard to notice there is a screw there.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Older versions don't have the screw (insofar as I remember).
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio, thanks for the link to the speedplay site. My pedals don't have the screw at the end, just a round black plastic/rubber circle where the screw should be. They must be really old. I inherited them with a 10-year-old Kestrel. Maybe I should just start over with a new pair, since these rotate pretty freely. I just hate to throw stuff away if I can fix it. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slo-mo,

Get the greasing kit that SpeedPlay makes. I believe that Performance has it in stock.

It includes new end caps with screws in them. It is very easy to pry the old caps out and

grease the pedals. Just did my wifes old SpeedPlays after 7 IMs and a ton of other races.

They are much happier now.

SciGuy

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, sciguy. I guess I'll use a pair of pliers and just yank the old plastic thingies outta there, then. They're really wedged in there. If the pedals get trashed in the process, I guess it's no huge loss, since they're useless without some grease in there anyway ... they just spin around on the spindle. Appreciate the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the plastic thing does come out, use the smalles screwdriver possible and try to pry it out. you don't need the grease kit because after you get the cap off, you'll see the screw that holds the pedal body on the spindle. grease up the rollerbearings and put it back together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have one pair of the old pedals without the screws. That cap seems like it will never come off. But keep trying. A really sharp-bladed screwdriver or even a inflexible knife might work.

You don't need the Speedplay grease gun, but you probably will need the Speedplay attachment (a little rubber cylinder thing that you put in the hole that the cap came out of). If you don't have it, the grease tends to go all over the place instead of into the pedal.

-jens

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which pedals do you have? The lower end pedals are harder to service.

I have an older pair of x/1's without the screw, and a newer pair with the screw. Both are very easy to grease. I'd consider going to the Zeros, but my X pedals show no signs of needing replacement.

With old X pedals, you pry off the black end cap with a little pick. Speedplay sells a "Speedy Luber" for the old pedals which is basically just a small plastic sleeve to help get a good seal as you inject the grease. The newer pedals with the phillips screw have the plastic sleeve permanently in place. Using a grease gun with a needle tip or a syringe will do fine; if the grease is going into the pedal rather than coming back out at you you're good to go.

As you inject grease, rotate the pedal slowly. Old grease (if there is any) will escape at the seal around the spindle at the inboard side of the pedal body. When clean grease comes out, you are done and you can replace the cap or screw.

If you've got a Speedplay question, I'd recommend calling Speedplay's 800#. I have called them a couple of times with questions, and they have been extremely helpful.

They estimate the pedals will need to be greased every 2,000 miles or so. When well greased, the pedal should only turn half a turn or so if you try to spin it with your fingers; if it turns more than that it probably means your cleats are dry and need to be greased. Speedplay recommends using any decent grease; I use marine bearing grease from an auto parts store.
Quote Reply
Re: Speedplay Greasin Part II [Tom Fort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used the Manitou grease gun and grease with no problems.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply