Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Are you going to suggest that if I need a "custom" 53.8 frame size then I can't be adjusted to fit a stock 54 cm size? "

Custom bikes are more involved that just adjusting the seat tube height. What if you want a 57 in the vertical dimension, but a 55 in the horozontal, but still want the 72 degree STA and a reasonable 120mm stem? Now, the number of stock bikes that would actually fit is very limited, so now you are limited on your selection. What if you wanted one that was exceptionally stiff, but vibrated at a frequency that made riding a bit more comfortable over 100 miles? Now, how many stock bikes are left? Now, lengthen the wheel base a little, because you want to do some touring on it - not road racing. How many are left now?

Also, if Cervelo made custom bikes, do you think the riders would still ride stock? Just a question...
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not true. Some of us cannot fit very well on many or most stock frames. Before the 2007 models were released, very few bikes had a 78 degree or steeper seat tube in the larger sizes. In addition, larger frames have longer top tubes, that do not fit some of us w/ long legs, shorter torso.

You're joking, right? I'm riding my 2003 P3 at 81 degrees STA. I have (relatively) very long legs and a short torso. other than going with an 80mm stem, which is a nonfactor in tribike handling, I was able to achieve a perfect fit on a stock frame. If I had an even shorter torso I could have gone down one frame size, gone with a slightly longer stem, and had a bit more seat post exposed.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a Sizing Cycle that costs about $7,000 less: http://www.calfeedesign.com/sizer.htm

Use whatever fitting system you prefer, it's just a convenient, timesaving tool.

Craig Calfee
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [craigcalfee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here's a Sizing Cycle that costs about $7,000 less: http://www.calfeedesign.com/sizer.htm

Use whatever fitting system you prefer, it's just a convenient, timesaving tool.

Craig Calfee
Needs more motors...is there a way we can get lasers on it? I like lasers.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lasers 'R' us. Home Depot laser transit, $45. Used camera tripod from Goodwill, $10. Fanciest plumb bob you'll ever see!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...best "fit" I ever had was at OTC Colorado Springs...they eye balled it...got it dead on. I measured the bike, still to this day many years later is perfect (road, not Tri)...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lasers 'R' us. Home Depot laser transit, $45. Used camera tripod from Goodwill, $10. Fanciest plumb bob you'll ever see!
Checking out your site - your bikes are SO freaking cool. A buddy of mine Dr. Ken Stephens has a custom...I ghasp every time I see it.

Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Due to points 1 and 2 above, positioning must be an ongoing, iterative process, and no "high tech" equipment can overcome this fact. <<

Very true. Fit is an ongoing thing, but as this fit bike was explained to me, it shows power output as you are riding and you can tweak your position while riding (via remote control and motors controlling seat height, bar height, etc). Thus, you can see if a 3mm raise in saddle height yields more power or less power, or you can see the change in power with a lower or higher saddle to bar drop, etc.

Don't you think there is plateau where the body can only go so far to yield several trips to the fitter?
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
>>Due to points 1 and 2 above, positioning must be an ongoing, iterative process, and no "high tech" equipment can overcome this fact. <<

Very true. Fit is an ongoing thing, but as this fit bike was explained to me, it shows power output as you are riding and you can tweak your position while riding (via remote control and motors controlling seat height, bar height, etc). Thus, you can see if a 3mm raise in saddle height yields more power or less power, or you can see the change in power with a lower or higher saddle to bar drop, etc.
And how, pray tell, do you control your relative effort, so that you know that any changes in power output aren't simply due to you choosing to work harder/less hard in any position? The answer is that, short of making a maximal effort, you can't...and even if you have the time and are willing to repeatedly torture yourself on multiple occasions (to eliminate fatigue effects), you still haven't accounted for adaptation/accomodation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote: "...and the point being made is that this measurement, in the context of bike fit, is a total red herring. Wattage measurement is a fantastic tool for many things, but bike fit isn't one of them."

I completely disagree. The point was not to see how much power I generated. The purpose to was to compare my body position, body movement, and perceived comfort level in different positions. I was told to hold X watts for Y minutes while the bike fitter observed my position and video taped my position. Then we tweaked the position and did it again, this time comparing how my body moved and felt in the new position at the same power level. This way we were comparing apples to apples. I found it to be much more valuable and effective than my previous road bike fit, at another store, that only eye-balled position.
Convenient, maybe, but no more effective than doing it the "old school" way of riding, wrenching, riding, wrenching, until you're satisified. And that's the point: all the gee-whiz technology may lend the appearance of greater precision, but it doesn't actually provide it.
Quote Reply
Re: Guru Dynamic Fit Machine [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote: "You're joking, right?"

Nope.

Quote: "I'm riding my 2003 P3 at 81 degrees STA."

That's my point. You are RIDING it at 81 degrees, it was not built that way. Read my prior post, I did not want to force a frame to my dimenions with seat posts, stems, etc. Why not just get the right frame in the first place.

Quote: "I have (relatively) very long legs and a short torso."

My legs actually are very long, not "relatively."

Quote: "Other than going with an 80mm stem, which is a nonfactor in tribike handling, I was able to achieve a perfect fit on a stock frame"

Obviously you did not "achieve a perfet fit on a stock frame" without doing the very things I previously mentioned I did not want to do.

I'm not sure why people want to knock custom fit bikes. I am not advocating them for every person. However, they are appropriate in some cases. It kills me that peole on this site constantly rip bikes posted on this site that have long seat posts, spacers, long stems, riser stems, etc., that were needed for bikes like yours so they could "achieve a perfect fit on a stock frame." Look, if you are able to fit on a stock frame, more power to ya. I don't care. I wanted an Argon 18 or a QR Lucero when I went to the store. The fitter would have put me on either bike and would have "made" it fit, if I wanted. But, the stock dimensions of the frame (alone) did not fit. I had the option for custom. Why the hell would I not do so?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly you've convinced yourself that you need a custom frame and you will not be happy with anything less.
Quote Reply

Prev Next