Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for some training advice on how to go faster at IMAZ this coming april.

I'm currently coming off of IMWI where I was very pleased with the result (10:25 - 54/5:51/3:28).

I'd like to try and improve that time by 30 minutes at IMAZ I'd like to do that by cutting 15 minutes off of both my bike and my run.

Any tips on workouts or suggestions that you can offer to make this realistic would be appreciated.

When you make suggestions keep in mind that I live in WI and just broke my elbow - this means I'm not allowed to ride outside until December, and once that happens due to sunlight will only be riding outside on the weekend (assuming it's not hazardeous to do so)

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all VERY solid splits but it looks like your bike is the one where you have the most room for improvement. What is your limiter? strength? Endurance?

Was your plan more focused on the run and swim?

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at your transitions, bet you find 5-10min?

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've done both races - would have to guess that you could get 5 to 8 min because the transitions are shorter in AZ.

the bike in AZ is much more for giving than MOO (though I did not think Moo was all that bad) though AZ is not totally FL flat - everything is pretty gradual - my bike split at AZ in 05 was 30 min faster than my Moo split in 06 - no reason you shold not be able to cut 10 - 15 min off the bike with reasonably the same effort.

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just show up......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lose 10 lbs? ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that with just the difference in the venues you'll be about thrity minutes faster. I did Moo and am doing Arizona and took a look at what the pros did and most of them were almost thirty minutes faster on just the bike. When only one male goes under five hours at Moo and usually it is on a few that's a tough bike course.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(1) Bike much more and (2) lose weight, both of which will help your bike and run splits.

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with almost all the above particularly the bike and transition focus (you can get all 30 minutes + from there). Also consider how the conditions at MOO affected your bike split (downhills on wet pavement etc). Whatever you do don't screw up the :54 and 3:28 in the process (those are gold Jerry gold)!!

Best of luck and I wish I had your problems (shaving 30 to go sub 10) :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you're already there. As has already been said, Wisco is a much harder course. 10:25 at IMWI this year equated roughly to a 9:50 at AZ last year.

Assuming you're in the same shape, you should go about 30 minutes faster on the bike alone. Percentage-wise, your 5:50 at IMWI from this year is about equivalent to last years ~5:23 at IMAZ. Subtract the super-long WI transitions and you're there.
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the input -

What I see:

1. Assuming same race execution and same fitness level the course alone is enough to make the time cut.

2. Cut race weight.

3. Bike more - how do I inject better riding with this?

jammajin - Not worried about screwing up the swim - I'll be 50-55 no matter what I do; don't have those assurances for the run though :)

dtreeps - I focused most of my effort last season on the bike (so it was perplexing to ride only a touch faster in '06 then '05) I personally have a have a hard time defining my "limiters". I don't totally understand the concepts. If I had to say I think my limiter may not be power, but Muscular Endurance? It may be power, I'm not sure:

Random thoughts:

My half Ironman bike pace is about the same as my Olympic pace (if I intend to have a good run), and my sprint tri pace is only a fraction faster then that.

I do a group ride with some roadies (~24 mph in some tougher terrain), but the last 25-30 minutes of it takes a lot of concentration/effort to keep from getting scraped off.

Time difference between first 100+ ride of last season and the last was ~ 10 minutes --- is this normal?

Had somebody mention at trinewbies that a 3:15ish run is a lot faster (as compared to other competitors) versus a 5:40ish bike - thoughts?

Am I better off looking to maintain the Swim/Bike and try to take a meat cleaver to the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also keep in mind that Arizona is hot. (And though the course might be faster, as some say here) you need to get used to racing in hot weather and learn to nail your nutrition and hydration. That may be tough in WI, but perhaps you can simulate thos conditions indoors

Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [ironboom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping that a warm basement with no fan will help with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Am I better off looking to maintain the Swim/Bike and try to take a meat cleaver to the bike?[/reply]

IMO yes this is where your largest gain relative to risk factors is (ie. try to run faster and blow up etc.)

Do you have a PM. If not I would get one and learn to use. If so then indoors this winter 80% @aet and 20% @lt/ftp. Rent a lot of movies :-).
And rest the arm/elbow until fully healed (ie. trainer time only)
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [jammajin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have a powermeter and probably won't get one until late 2007 at the earliest (I just got a set of Powercranks)

My bike trainer does have a quasi power display so I can do something with a consistant frame of reference.

edit: My bike trainer, not my bike has a quasi power display
Last edited by: sentania: Oct 20, 06 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [Mr. Jinx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've trained with this boy and he's got no fat to lose :)
Quote Reply
Re: IMWI to IMAZ - Want to drop 30 minutes - can you help? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've trained with this boy and he's got no fat to lose :)
It's more than just losing fat, even if you don't have any to lose. As you will notice, many different types of athletes, including weight lifters, have low body-fat percentages. Yet what's important to triathlon is not just body/fat, but also body composition. That is something that changes very gradually over time the more consistently you train.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike more, run more.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a 4:53 at IMAZ last year, and this year at IM WIS I rode a 5:27?? Although I lost about 20 minutes on the bike to mechanical problems and going off course, it still would have been around 15 minutes slower of a ride than at IMAZ...I feel like I was in similar bike shape for both races.....so you should pick up time just with a faster bike split....so maybe if you get more fit, AND you are racing on the faster IMAZ course you could drop even more than 30 minutes...

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to http://www.tripower.org/ Hire Mike Plumb and follow his workouts. He helped me take nearly 45 mins off my 1/2 Ironman time this year at the same race in similar conditions, going from a 5:17 to a 4:34. He is also one of the best value coaches you will find anywhere, in fact I think he undercharges for his service.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply