Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheapest coach available?
Quote | Reply
Is there such a thing as really cheap coaching (cycling)? Most of the coaching sites seem to be ~$100/month. I was thinking of something really bare bones for maybe ~$25/mo, just something to help me stick to a plan.

Does that exist, or perhaps am I just better off picking up a book with some good training schedules?

Thanks peoples.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go for the book. chances are that's what you'd be getting anyway if you paid for a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll coach you for $25 a month.

http://iron-boom.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just post on ST, we'll all coach you!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rich Strauss (Crucible Fitness) has plans for sale, very good, very cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [aerojunkie2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
go for the book. chances are that's what you'd be getting anyway if you paid for a coach.
LOL, you are so funny but so wrong. Especially if you use Friel's book.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rich Strauss (Crucible Fitness) has plans for sale, very good, very cheap.

I agree that pre-packaged plans are a good solution. Spread the cost out over the full season cycle and it's in your budget. With most of these providers, you get access to a forum to ask more detailed questions.

You can also PM guys like Desert Dude half to death and get free coaching that way. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You can also PM guys like Desert Dude half to death and get free coaching that way. ;-)
LOL - oh wait, now I'll have even more PM's than usual. I'll get you one of these days! :-)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Oct 19, 06 21:21
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
go for the book. chances are that's what you'd be getting anyway if you paid for a coach. [/reply]
LOL, you are so funny but so wrong. Especially if you use Friel's book.[/reply]

So do you mean that most coaches don't use Friel's book method and the method the coach uses is better or Friel's method is better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my old-school choaching advice that is absolutely free:

Swim, bike, run as often as time allows and as much as your recovery ability allows.

In age-group sports (for me everything over 9h ...maybe 8:45 is age-group), the need for coaching and structurized training is largely overrated.

I believe in basics training-truths such as: You can´t go hard every day. Or: Without long rides it´s unlikely that you will have a great ironman. Beyond that: Hype.

Just do it. Screw the planing. Listen to your body. Learn. Go.

Axel
Last edited by: Axel: Oct 20, 06 4:59
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just post on ST, we'll all coach you!"

That will work. Problem is, you will get some of the BEST advice and the WORST advice all at the same time and you won't be able to tell the difference bewteen the two! That may require a bit more homework.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I was pretty much joking but I do take advice i get on ST quite regularly. I think you get to know the posters and then go from there. You figure out who is fast b/c they followed good coaching and who is fast in spite of bad coaching.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cheapest coach available? [DougM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So do you mean that most coaches don't use Friel's book method and the method the coach uses is better or Friel's method is better?
Sure all coaches use the principles in Friel's book. They are good at giving you an outline of what to do when. They greatly lack in the details. Friel's book is concept, a day to day schedule is details. Things such as what to do in each workout, how to do it, when in the ride to do it, number of repititions, how often to repeat, etc. Friel's book sucks for that stuff.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply