Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DC Area Triathletes
Quote | Reply
So, it looks like I'm moving to DC in December. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about a good team to check out. I'm looking for a team that is social and competitive, and preferrably one that has a lot of group training opportunities.

Thanks!
Charlotte

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a club called D.C. Tri or something like that. You see a pretty good pressence of them at local events. They probably have a site as they seem to be pretty big.

There's also the Mid-Maryland Tri Club which is based out of Columbia, MD which is only 25 minutes or so away from D.C. Another larger club with good support.

Re: DC Area Triathletes [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have seen the DC Tri Club webpage and I saw several of their members at Timberman. I may end up living in MD, depending on where I get a job.

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.dctriclub.com

its the largest group in the area, i am a member. it seems taht most of the active members are i nthe capitol hill area so social events are focused around that. there is also a bike shop that supports the club up there that does a fair job. there are other clubs, tricats are based out of arlington trirats are based in reston.
Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [paul0578] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll PM you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in MD, not far from DC.

There are several bike shops/equipment shops which have tri gear (not simply bicycle gear), so they will be good places to also ask around, and many have rides. One of them is called Race Pace: http://racepacebicycles.com . I just noticed they have a group-ride page also: http://racepacebicycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=214

You'll find people around as you need them, and DC/Balt is close to many areas so you will find that getting to events is pretty simple (except for traffic, which can be very awful!)

If you need a house in MD, I'm selling mine :) ... 3 minutes from a major highway into DC/Balt, 5 min from I-95. Big house, great neighborhood, quiet, woods in back, near an aquatic center. I turned my wood-floored dining room into a gym - have my bike on a trainer in my living room!

Good luck in your job search and move!
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [Fitnesscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Lauren!

Thanks for your reply - I will check out the links. I am not in the market for a house, I'm still of the "apartment variety." I am well aware of the DC traffic....ugh.

~Charlotte

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I'm still of the "apartment variety."

Ok. I'd check out "Russet" area in Laurel, MD. There are beautiful apartments which are like little townhouses... and there's a running path. It's a housing development but most apartments around here are either VERY expensive or shabby and scary.

If you want to rent (btw) a house (not an apt), I have a friend who owns several houses in several MD areas which he rents out. Wonderful, caring man, and I've known him for 25 years. He's really cool, and his houses are in popular near-DC areas.

Just fyi if you need the info.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Hey Lauren!

Thanks for your reply - I will check out the links. I am not in the market for a house, I'm still of the "apartment variety." I am well aware of the DC traffic....ugh.

~Charlotte[/reply]
---
actually, DC has some pretty strong incentives for first time home buyers (tax credit, closing cost help, etc.), so you may want to rethink that after you've settled in. We took advantage of it and it worked out very well for us.

As for traffic, it's not that bad if you live in the city. If you car commute into DC from MD or VA, you're done for. I bike commuted from DC to UMD on major roads for the better part of 4 years without problems.

Josef
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll PM you when I'm in the rental market. I'm looking at jobs at NIH, so the MD area is definitely an option. Thanks, again!

Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at jobs at NIH and I'm definitely not looking for a big commute. I'd love to live in DC, but we'll see where I end up getting a job. For now, I'm moving to NoVA - WITH MY PARENTS! Ugh.

I wish I could look at buying a house, but the pesky down payment is a limiter right now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What!!! This is how I find out you're leaving!

You're in big trouble missy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you moving to DC or just near DC. If you're moving near DC, I would suggest Reston as a great place to live. There is a really good triathlon club called the RATS (Reston Area Triathletes). Another one is called the CATS (Capitol Area Triathletes). Both clubs are really good. Reston also has an amazing running club that does runs during the week and 10 mile runs on the weekend. Many members do marathons and ultra races (JFK 50 Miler). Reston is also the home of the Reston Bike club that does training rides on Tuesday/Thursdays/Saturdays during the spring/summer/fall. There are quite a few master programs in the Reston/Herdon area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I wish I could look at buying a house, but the pesky down payment is a limiter right now."

My realtor (who is the guy who rents the houses) says that anything is possible... and my BF says he bought his last 2 places (in OH) with NO down payment at all.

If you get a job at NIH (btw, I know someone in HR there) that might be enough of a security to assure you of a mortgage loan. But the prices in Bethesda are defintely very high... just FYI, at least 2 of his rental houses are in Silver Spring/Wheaton area: not far from SS/Wheaton metros.

Lauren

Lauren Muney
certified health coach
wellcoach

Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heehee - sorry. you are on my email list! things happened quickly. i'll drop you a line this morning.

Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the short term, I'll be in NoVA, in the long term, I don't know. It will be where a job takes me. My parents have lived in NoVA for 10 years now, so I'm familiar with (and like) Reston. Thanks for the tri team tips. I have heard about the Reston Bike Club.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll PM you re: HR @ NIH.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm looking at jobs at NIH and I'm definitely not looking for a big commute. I'd love to live in DC, but we'll see where I end up getting a job. For now, I'm moving to NoVA - WITH MY PARENTS! Ugh.
--
depending on where in NoVA, could be a great, great, bike commute... you won't last long doing that drive.

I wish I could look at buying a house, but the pesky down payment is a limiter right now.
---
:-) i know a guy...

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: DC Area Triathletes [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in touch about your guy once I get a job!

Quote Reply