Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerCrank + Q-Rings anyone tried??
Quote | Reply
Since I found this site a couple of weeks ago, I have done a bit of reading about the subj items. Has anyone seen or read about them being put together for testing (if they are even compatible) or for real world use. Would the Q-ring kind of defeat or lessen the purpose of the clutch in the PowerCrank ?

thanks for reading

Joe H.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerCrank + Q-Rings anyone tried?? [Munchieiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like it would take a lot of concentration to keep the q-rings in their proper position. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't want to be looking down at my chainrings all the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting question, I have not heard of anyone combining the two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Would the Q-ring kind of defeat or lessen the purpose of the clutch in the PowerCrank ?

No.

The PowerCrank would defeat or lessen the purpose of the Q-ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it might be possible to set up the chainring side (right side) with the q-ring, but I don't see how you could keep it lined up on the other side (left side)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a compatible setup. You'd essentially end up with a set of Q Rings where the setting, or orientation with respect to the crank arms is completely random. Neither of the crank arms on PCs are in a fixed position relative to the spider/chainring. They are basically incompatible with any eccentric chainrings.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerCrank + Q-Rings anyone tried?? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies. Guess i'll work on getting the PowerCranks for the winter training season and look at the Q-Rings for the beginning of next racing season!! :)

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about this question some more after taking a closer look at my powercranks. I'm sure that there is some mechanical engineering genius out there who could find a way to make them compatible. It should be possible to fix the chainring to the right crankarm, and let the left chainring be independent of it. The problem there would be that the left crank would be in a suboptimal position anytime that it is not 180 degrrees to the right crankarm.

The only way that I could see it working is if you had two totally independent chainrings. One on the right and one on the left. Each with it's own chain and sproket. They would not necessarily be powercranks, but the same principle would apply. Such a set up would be way too heavy and cumbersome for a road bike, but certainly conceivable for an indoor trainer.

The obvious question here would be is there any advantage from a training standpoint to such a contrived system?
Quote Reply