Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits.....
Quote | Reply
I've heard it's bad for them but in my case I'll be using a wetsuit maybe 2-3 times per year.

1. Does Pam work better than anything else?

2. Is it so bad for the wetsuit that I could not get away with this transgression a few times per year?

3. Is there anything better than Body Glide or Pam?
Last edited by: beatnic_tx: Oct 18, 06 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just conjur up the image of Cramer baking like a turkey on Sienfeld.

Ric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Pam for 2 years now and have had no ill effects on the wetsuit. I just hang it up when I am done. I can't find anything that comes close to Pam for easy exit from the wetsuit. Good luck. Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Pam or something similar in adventure races where running or biking come first, so I am putting on the wetsuit already sweaty! These products work great for on/off.

I have never heard that Pam is bad... Vasoline is bad. Doing it since 1999, I have never noticed any problems associated with the Pam. You are at far more risk to cause damage with fingernails or aggressive tugging than with the cooking spray.

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is this new stuff called SUIT JUICE that is popular with waterskiers. It's a water based lube in a pump shampoo like container. they are just moving into tri territory, met the rep at Interbike. Not sure how to get it but you might do a google on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This suit juice sounds like a good idea given that we really shouldn't be polluting our lakes with cooking spray...

I was stunned when I first started wake boarding to see that everyone uses large volumes of dish soap to lube up the foot grips so they can get their feet in. Whenever I go camping, I'm always careful to use biodegradable soap, and not to put it directly into the lake... Meanwhile, wakeboarders are pouring gallons of dish soap into the lakes...

A water based product sounds like a much better choice than PAM to protect the lakes that everyone likes to race in for the future...

But then I'm a duathlete so what the hell do I know about wetsuits...
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [ttracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, get the butter flavour...

anwyay, I have never used PAM and don't know if this is an urban triathlon legend, but I did hear of someone who had their neck really badly 'cooked' during a long outdoor swim on a sunny day....personally I use body glide.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [Hellodavey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So educate a newbie, exactly what body part's do you spray? Do you lube up entirely, or just problematic areas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree on the soap issue, I just realized I'm one of those "stupid wasteful Americans" on my trip to Colorado with a bunch of Canucks. They commented on the amount of oil based dish lube we use and threw out a few stats on the environmental impact of it... I guess I'm going to start shopping for biodegradeable soap, but that stuff sure doesn't cut like Dawn:P

Suit Juice www.northshoreindustries.com

Suit Juice is a lubricant formulated specifically to ease entry to and from wetsuits. Designed for triathletes, water skiers, surfers, and scuba divers. For triathletes, our lubricant cuts transition time between events with up to a 60% time reduction! For skiers, divers and all other wetsuit athletes it reduces strain and eliminates uncomfortable chaffing. Like MooseJuice, it is phosphate free and will not leave a residue or damage suits. It will not damage our environment and is proven to prolong the life and condition of your wet suit or dry suit. ORDER
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [imatoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So educate a newbie, exactly what body part's do you spray? Do you lube up entirely, or just problematic areas?

Lower legs (calf and down), forearms and neck for me.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: Using Pam cooking spray on wetsuits..... [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I HAD to click on Tai's link to find out what "Moose Juice" was...

Turns out it's for getting into your waterski/wakeboard bindings... Just what I was hoping for...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I emailed the guy I know who's repping it, maybe he'll get back to me and fill me in on who carries it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an old Orca suit that I wanted to get rid of, but despite slathering it with PAM and Vaseline, I couldn't hurt it. I use about half a can on the inside of the legs from just above the knees on down and around the shoulders. It makes it easier to swim and also to strip off the suit. By the time it can damage the suit you'll be wanting a new on anyway.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply