Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [tjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chase the threads, sorry.

Chasing the threads cleans them up. Facing the BB shell insures that the right and left sides of the BB shell face are parallel.

These combine to ensure that the torque is evenly distributed throughout the BB, with no weirdness. I've got pictures of the cutaway and will write a post on the Ergomo forum explaining how it all works. All of this becomes very clear when you see pics of the inside.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get an Ergo...just do it...the power tap will be a bigger chronic hassle than your first wife...listen to and buy it from Strauss...peace out
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So chasing the threads is probably not a big deal in my case. I did clean it out and the unit went on just fine. I assume the worry here is in stripping the threads or it not threading correctly. Is this right?

Facing seems to be important, but isn't this something that should be done before the bike leaves the factory? Do bottom brackets get out of parallel? Is this more critical on older bikes than newer bikes? I am hoping my new Blade is the exception here as I really don't want to have to worry about the install in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [ssDirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been running a powertap pro for a few years, my wife has had an SL for the past year. I would say I average about one unit return per year, and I am carefull with maintenance. I previously reported in another thread that my powertap unit is out of action and back at cycleops after one wet ride. My wife's SL stopped working less than a month after purchase and had to go back to be fixed under warranty work. Some powertaps work just fine in the rain, but the number of problems people experience show that they have some real sealing QC issues.

For me, if I was buying a meter I would get the ergomo and make sure I went through all the processes that Rich talks about.

Fortunately I took money for buying an Ergomo and put it towards a mountain bike. Lots more fun!

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thought I would add some thoughts since I have just gone through the process of adding an ergomo.

First, do the work yourself. It is very easy. You don't need any special tools.
You don't consider the tools needed to chase the threads and face the b.b. "special"? I've been doing all of my own wrenching for >30 y, and still don't own such things. (After getting charged $50 to install a headset, I did finally break down and buy a headset press, figuring that it would eventually pay for itself...then the world went to integrated headsets, of course.)
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly would, but I was probably replying to the original post at the same time Rich was. At the time I got my Ergomo, nobody thought these steps were necessary.

I am still hoping these steps don't really matter....or at least in my case :).

Yeah, I certainly see the point of going to the LBS now. Of course that doesn't guarentee it will get done right the first time either.
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You actually paid $50 to have a headset installed? Did it come with a free headset?

Wow...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does Bjorn, Jonas and Clas for 07!

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You actually paid $50 to have a headset installed? Did it come with a free headset?

Wow...
That's my recollection of what they charged me, yes. Of course, considering that at the time I had to drive ~50 mi just to get to any bike shop, much less one that I'd trust to work on my then-brand-new Hooker, I really didn't have much choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, that all should be done and the shop will tell you it has and shouldn't need to be done. If so, have them VERIFY it has been done/doesn't need to be done.

My point is that you need to tell Billy to put down the bong, take the tie tack out of his tongue, pick up a torque wrench and apply some attention to detail to the install. This is not your father's BB. As you may notice, I have a very low opinion of bike wrenching, no offense to the quality wrenches on the forum :-)

Dick
Quote Reply
Re: Powertap or Ergomo? [ssDirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I keep going back & forth on which powermeter to get. I have two bikes: a road & tri bike and I have a Corima disk & aero front as my race wheels.

I ride both of my bikes, which leads me to think the PT would be easier, but I don't want to "waste" the investment in the nice race wheels. Suggestions?
Get an Ergomo and buy it from Rich (support those who support this forum... plus, his price is as good or better than anywhere).

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next