Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg warmers that are removable while riding
Quote | Reply
I've been (unsuccessfully) looking for some leg warmers that are removable while riding. Ideally they'd have zippers that run the length and you could just unzip them and put them in a pocket and only need to stop pedaling. Maybe velcro all the way down? Anything? My current ones are too difficult to remove while riding. I need to stop and take them off because they get hung up on the cleats. Has anyone seen anything like these?
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [Dave G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tricky, but after a couple of tries I can get my Hind warmers off without a problem.

I unzip the calf, then work the warmer down to my ankle, unclip and lift my leg, slip it off from heel to toe, clip in and pedal as I work it into a back pocket.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Bryce said it is tricky. Learned this while riding with roadies... Work them down into a nice bunch around the ankle, then push over your heel until they butt up against the back of the cleat. Unclip and yank them over the cleat/end of your shoe. After doing it once or twice it will be no problem.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the other fellas said, this is just something you want to practice on a stationary trainer before you try it in the real world. If you try it a few times you'll see it goes OK. Just use caution when doing it in the real world for the first time.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with any sort of zipper or velcro running the length of the leg warmer is that it'd likely rub your skin raw in a hurry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try knee warmers. They are not to bad to get off while moving. However, I prefer to stop, and take a break to take them off these days.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't believe thet u guys are even thinking about doing this. Is a $2000+ hospital bill is worth the 2 mins it takes to stop and remove the leg warmers..?

Paul

Paul..
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [Paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I can't believe thet u guys are even thinking about doing this. Is a $2000+ hospital bill is worth the 2 mins it takes to stop and remove the leg warmers..?"

Thank you for that comment.

I had exactly one crash last year, and it was caused by someone taking off his leg warms in front of me....in a crit..... If I had broken a collarbone or something I'd have been really pissed. He was just too lazy to pull them off at the start.

If you want to throw yourself on the ground, that's fine. And, if you want to do it in a pack of guys, please go to the back and do it. I've take off plenty of stuff--rain jackets, vests, etc. But leg warmers are just too easy to get tangled in your wheel. I can't think of a good reason not to just stop and take them off...or just leave them on!

As for the OP's question, there was some pro guy a few years back who saw the great potential of the velco removable knee warmer. He sewed up a few pair and was selling them out of his car. He seemed pretty convinced they were going to be the next big thing. They never seemed to catch on....

You could probably cut a pair and sew on some velco yourself; 2 long strips, one above the knee, one below the knee. They'd probably look about as good as his attempt!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can't believe thet u guys are even thinking about doing this. Is a $2000+ hospital bill is worth the 2 mins it takes to stop and remove the leg warmers..? "

If, after a little practice, you can't learn to take leg warmers off and on while riding, I suggest your lack of coordination is going to land you in the hospital sooner or later regardless of your avoidance of this particular activity.

Allow me to suggest online poker as a suitable activity for this level of athleticism...

- OK, joking, but give me a break. Just because this strikes you as a dangerous activity (and heck, it probably is - for you...) to many others, who have performed this little stunt hundreds of times, it is about as automatic as reaching in the jersey pocket for a Power Bar, and about as risky. Heck, after a while, you don't even have to stop pedaling to do this.

I think I took my leg warmers off while riding at least 1/2 dozen times last week alone, and I think all of these iterations took place in a paceline, in mid conversation. I would probably drop to the back of the line to put them back on, but that's about it.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, lets say u are halfway pulling out your leg warmers and your leg warmers are at that point where it is at the most restrictive part of foot (under the cleats). Someone in front of u decides to hit the brakes or swerves into your lane. You have one hand on your hoods and one hand on your foot. Where do u think your center of gravity is..? What do you think is going to happen..? Do u think u can hit the brakes in time..? or swerve to avoid the collision with one hand..? Why put yourself in unnecessary harm.

Come to think of it, go ahead, i'm not holding any of u guys who back from doing it. After all its survival of the smartest. Like Khai said.. "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough". I'd rather learn from other's mistakes..

Rest assured that if i go down because some asshole decides to take his leg warmers off in a group ride, i am gonna pick myself up after the wipeout and go kick him square in his f**king nuts..!

Paul

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What-ever.

"So, lets say u are halfway pulling out your leg warmers and your leg warmers are at that point where it is at the most restrictive part of foot (under the cleats). "

This is a time span that can be measured in fractions of a second if you aren't a complete boob.

In all seriousness, if it takes you long enough to perform this relatively simple skill that it makes you dangerous to others, you likely aren't going to be invited to participate in the vast majority of the rides that I go on. Go play internet poker, or take a bicycle skills class. PM me, and I will point you to a resource if you happen to live in the PNW.

"You have one hand on your hoods and one hand on your foot. Where do u think your center of gravity is..? What do you think is going to happen..? Do u think u can hit the brakes in time..? or swerve to avoid the collision with one hand..? "

To put it in plain language, this is a Fred-detector skill. I don't like to crash any more than you do, and I minimize the likelihood of this happening by avoiding people with no bike handling skills. If taking off your leg warmers while riding is any more dangerous for you than reaching down to take a bottle, or any of a number of other simple on-the-bike skills, it's because you are lacking in skill. I'm glad you don't try it. You shouldn't.

The same rules don't apply to the many, many riders who are better than you. I would rather ride with a very skilled rider than a cautious Fred. So, to answer your question: Yes, In fact, I can, and I have. I think I am less likely to go down in that situation than many riders would be with both hands on, both feet on, and with training wheels bolted to their Zipps.

This doesn't make me unusual, BTW - there are many posters on this board who can make the same type of claim.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A dude in our cycling group had a pair a few years ago with a thin velcro strip up the side that allowed you to tear 'em off while riding. Damned if I can remember the name though. I first saw them advertised in the midwest aerobic sports magazine Silent Sports. I'll let you know if I can find the manufacturer.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This all goes back to the main difference between roadies and triathletes. I'm a triathlete that sometimes rides with very experienced roadies. I've learned A LOT from them. Mainly, they know how to handle their bikes and MOST triathletes don't.

The looks I get from my tri friends when I just take my hands off the bars is comical, let alone removing my helmet (if a bee flies in or something) or removing leg warmers.

Ride with a pack of experienced roadies on a normal fun group ride. You'll see them bouncing off one another, removing gear with no hands at full speed, going to the bathroom, bunny-hopping, taking stone roads at full speed etc. Bottom-line is they know how to handle their bikes.

Admittedly, I'm only 1/2 as good as they are, and I admire their competency. But, everyone should be able to be comfortable enough handling their bikes to remove clothing while riding.

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe you could try something like these:

http://www.abcunderwear.com/meripoffpa.html

Last edited by: glitch: Oct 17, 06 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Leg warmers that are removable while riding [glitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't they have put a woman in the pants in the picture. I feel dirty now, especially because he was in camo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well i figured you wouldn't want to wear female stripper pants.

and you didn't have to look at the images i had to see just to make that joke. way too many man thongs...

Quote | Reply
I've looked through most of the catalogs at the shop but haven't seen anything close. Please let me know if you think of the company!

To everyone else: I sort of agree with all of the wussies (no offense, I'm one of you) who talk about wiping out while performing the daring act of removing the warmers while riding. I would never do it in a group, I'd fade off to the back and the remove them. I can remove them now I was just hoping that there was something that is more fool-proof so I don't end up wiping out. I think in general I'm afraid of falling. I mountain bike about 1/2 to 2/3 the speed of my other riding buddies. I'm terribly afraid of falling. I feel better now that I've said it. Wow, I had an appiphany(sp?) right here on Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply