Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Teaching the entire skill
Quote | Reply
This was written in reply to someone who feels that I go overboard on the importance of kicking in swimming.

Keep in mind, I get paid to teach swimming, not triathlon.

Teaching the entire skill

In my swimming clinics I teach how to swim faster than when they came into the class. I give them a knowledge base to use as they see fit and modify as they need.

Many people who come into my class are aspiring triathletes who use swimming as part of their sport. Once they have their swimming skills they can make adjustments in intensity to suit their needs. I would be remiss if I not include kicking as part of the total skill.

If you are going to race 50 yards you would swim with a very strong kick. If you are swimming 2.4 miles with a wetsuit you would not use your legs much more than for rhythm.

Kicking is a great abdominal and lower body conditioner. It strengthens your legs for the run and bike in addition to getting your body on the surface for the swim.

If you kick with a kickboard and have your head out of the water your will need to use your abdominal muscles to keep your back flat. It is also the only time in a workout when you can talk to someone else while training.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, what you're saying is, if you have a good kick, you can always turn it off or tone it down to "save the legs" for a tri, while gaining the fitness benefits (stronger legs / abs / back) during swim *training* ...

... but if you don't have a good kick, you're probably hosed, because you also don't have a good stroke...

No?

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In trying to simplify our message for people, we sometimes don't give the swimmer enough credit to determine that you can use different styles at different times.

There are times for easy kicking, times for aggressive kicking, times for long strokes and times to give a little on long strokes to favor high stroke rate.

If you make it too complex the learning swimmer walks away more confused than he began. But if you make it too simple, then the swimmer leaves thinking he should NEVER kick hard or NEVER sacrifice storke length for turnover.

As a coach, it is tough to find the sweet spot of educating the swimmer and not confusing them.
Last edited by: Kevin in MD: Oct 16, 06 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [TwinDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It means that you have to work a bit harder at developing a supportive kick which will take some time.

I have my classes wear fins during their kick sets and for the first few sessions in my swim clinics so that they can have a sense of what it would be like to have a kick. It teaches them to swim as if they were fast swimmers.

It takes time to develop a skill and does not occur over night. There is no quick fix.

There are people who are physically gifted and will always excel. There are others who are improving athletes.

If you cannot run a 2:10 marathon do you still do them. Sometimes a 4:30 is a great win and a personal best.

Set up your own game so that you always win. For me winning is improving or at my age not getting slower.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen!

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification Doug. I think the hardest part of teaching to a large audience over the internet is not knowing how the post will be recieved by each and every person (been there myself).

As always, thanks for taking the time to write them.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto to what Barry said "As always, thanks for taking the time to write them" Same goes out to you Barry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, it seems that my kick is all I have going for me anymore! lol

"It is not the great things we do in life that really matter, it's the small things we do with a great heart..."-Mother Theresa
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [bikesportgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikesportgirl,

Now that you have legs it is time to find your hands as they enter the water. Be patient.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started Tri's and I was still heavily into Master's swimming and meets, I thought it was the bike and run that strengthed my kick for the swim! :) I set most of my PR's during that time.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you can apply force (ankle and toe flexibility) all the strength will not move you forward.

Take a look at your feet and thank them. Swimmers can point their toes.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm missing something Doug, but I don't quite understand your response to my post.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Teaching the entire skill [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edwinj,

Unless yuou can apply force in the direction you wish to go all the strength in the world is useless.

Go to your pool, push off the wall and point your toes while kicking. After 10 yards turn your toes the other way and see if yourmove at all. You will have the same strong legs butyou willnot be able to apply any force in the correct direction. This is where ankle flexibility come in.

I get many marathon runners and bike racers who cannot kick a lnegth of the pool.

If you have the ankle flexiblity running and biking will add strength to your legs but strength is specific to the activity. It is call "specificity of training."

Ihope this makes it a bit clearer.

DougStern
Quote Reply