Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Columbus marathon smackdown
Quote | Reply
Anyone here who won the smackdown? I saw Eric at mile 7 and he was moving pretty quick. He kept looking at his watch though. I didn't see rroof though.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [wworems] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rroof ran a 3:08:32, I don't see Erik Clark's time.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the battle of the cramping!

Eric wasn't too far behind at the half way mark as we started together pretty much right up front (I think I hit the mat at about 1:29 taking it nice and easy).

I gave up on the PR here as I would have to make up way too much time to go sub 2:50. I was with a little group of 5 that wanted to go sub 3, so we picked it up a bit from around 14 to 18. Eric was dust after that. Lead guy was pushing a bit too hard for me though (we did 2 6:15 miles at 16 and 17). I should have backed off, but figured I needed to make up some time. I though if I flame out at 20, I'll still Boston qualifiy easy. Well, I didn't bonk, but was cramping wildly in the right quad at mile 18 and shut her down. Just ran easy in until mile 23 or so where it was hurting pretty badly and I started loosing a few mins. Came in a little disappointed at 3:08.

LOTS of cramping runners out there! I guess it was the cold weather or something (32-33 degrees F at the start), but I never saw so many guys on the side of the road stretching/grimmacing, etc. My father cramped bad in the calf and limped in slowly as well. Called Eric later and he suffered the same fate and finished in 3:35 or so and didn't look too happy as I briefly saw him down the chute.

Poor E. Clark - ST smackdown whipping boy! How about a simple 5K man :)

On the cudos size - Eric was nice enough to have my Dad and I over to his house for a pasta loading dinner. His wife (Shannon) really outdid herself as it was awesome! Really! My Dad asked what time we could come down next Saturday :)

Run hard guys!

Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Cerveloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy ^%% - how did you know that so fast?

Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3:35!!! Sheesh. Lemme have at'im next! :-)

Good running guys. rroof, did your dad qualify for Boston?

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I went out a little to hard, and didn't drink enough fluids. I gave it my best today, So I am happy with my time. MAjor cramping issues really hurt me at mile 17-18. Oh well, I had fun anYway!!! Good job for rroof going 3:08.

Not sure why I am not in the results. I finished!!!

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [BottomFeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]3:35!!! Sheesh. Lemme have at'im next! :-)

Good running guys. rroof, did your dad qualify for Boston?[/reply]

Yeah I qualified - sub 3:10 qualifies anyone, even young studs. I only needed a 3:15 at my age. Just checked the results and only 91 guys went under 3 hours! I'm very surprised (I would have assumed 200+ as this is a pretty large race (8,000+ with the 1/2)! It really is a pretty easy course - I think the weather was just too clear last night making the early start really cold and hard to "get going". Turned into a nice day though!

Oops - just saw what what you asked. Tired :) No, my Dad missed Boston by 12 mins and was pretty disappointed. But, he's ready for another anyway!

Last edited by: rroof: Oct 15, 06 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey erik, i looked for you, didn't see you. Also didn't meet with kitticat which was a big bummer (so crowded) but she did really good at the half (actually ran faster than me) I registered for the full, never picked up the chip and ran 10 miles of the course... I guess we can call this a step forward!

But I was REALLY excited to see my BF (JETLINK) qualify for Boston at 3:09!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoever puts on the Columbus marathon does a great job of getting the results posted quickly (and they're somewhat searchable - I found you, but not Erik). Good job out there under what sound like tough circumstances!

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Cerveloco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott Weaver who also puts on Fat Rabbit Races togeteher was the RD. He did a great job and brought that "tri" feel to the expo with having triziila there , bike source and used ankle chip for the race. He was pretty happy overall how things turned out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey rroof, congrats on your BQ! Are you planning to race or did you just want to qualify?

For those of us racing next weekend in chicago, indianapolis, etc. do you wish you had worn some light tights?

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was only going to do Boston if my father qualified too, but he didn't. We have both been there before, but not for a while. I'm thinking about going if a crew from Cincy is driving up (or even some from Indy - we can meet somewhere and share driving/hotel?)

And no - I did not even consider tights. There were quite a few of the slower runners in tights though as it got down to 28 that night. My legs were fine, but if you plan on being out there past 4:15 or so, you may want them. We just waited in our warm up stuff until the last minute, chucked our bag on this truck, and it was waiting for me at the end all nicely lined up right after the final food chute. I was impressed. I did wear a long sleeve shirt though and gloves (some cheapies that I bought at the expo for $2) and I tossed the gloves around mile 15.

Good luck in Chicago/Indy! We need some more midwest "locals" for a ST caravan out to Boston.

Now, lets concentrate on the mess in Kona and hope that goes off!

Quote | Reply
congrats on the run today Erik and Rod, and Soph! also, Soph that is awesome your BF qualified! and Rod too! Erik, way to gut it out, was that a PR for you?

it started cold and then really warmed up--i got pretty hot out there and felt my calves ripple a bit. many people sidelined with cramps. i don't ever remember seeing that before in a marathon event. people literally sidlined the roads in stretching positions with "that look" on their face. that look of bad cramps!

but aside from that, it is a really nice race, one of my favorite runs! i got choked up near the end, the last time i ran this race in 1999 both of my parents were there, and it really reminded me of my Dad. i had to coach myself, "breath! breath!", thankfully that kept me...breathing! my husband was at the finish and that was cool. (he does a great impersonation of me running, it's hilarious!).
Last edited by: kittycat: Oct 15, 06 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, Erik, was sorry to miss that dinner! dammit! my poor husband had to get up at 4:30am to be in Louisville to work, but we did get to Columbus around 4:30 or so. by the time we got in our room it was well after 6, and he collapsed right into bed. i thought about that cheesecake during the race (I picked up your note from my crackberry). hell, i'm still thinking about it!!!

i'll make it up to you, and i hope your wife forgives us. :)
Last edited by: kittycat: Oct 15, 06 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, Kitty - you missed that cheesecake! Home made (but she was struggling with the crust some) :)

Best part was the home made sausages and meatballs with the pasta.

Wait a minute - me, you, my dad - all of us cramping ... hmmm ... just what exactly did your wife put in that cheesecake Erik! :)

Quote | Reply
hey, i was sulking in a half ass grilled cheese from the hotel! don't rub it in! lol...

when i saw you and told you about Evan working we couldn't make it, that what i was trying to convey. with about 1 thousand people around, i know it made no sense.

hey, i took like 20 minutes off my time from the Flying Pig. isn't that crazy? no stomach problems today, thank God. next time i can go faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you had a great run (minus the cramps). Congrats. You ROCK. Keep up the good work and the positive attitude. And stay healthy.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked on a couple guys from the NE Ohio and they were slower than expected too. Must have been a tough day. But great job, everyone. As the test pilots say, "any landing you walk away from is a good landing."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be really nice and say that you and Erik are pretty pathetic... (how's this for smackdown talk? :-D)
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:) LOL! Come on, even with my poor execution/cramping, still BQ'd by 7 mins and was top 4% in a top 20 (by size) Marathon in the U.S.

But - I did suck past mile 18 and welcome a smackdown with you: perhaps Boston? :) I thought you were doing a late mary this year (or next)?

Quote | Reply
I ran the half. While I was milling around the finish area, Kristin Price from Raleigh, NC came across taking first place overall in full marathon's female division. The guy on the PA surprised a good number of people by announcing this was her first marathon.

Not to take anything away from her performance, but the local paper offered some further explination noting that she was a regular Ironman competitor. Anyone know her?

If you're on ST Kristin, congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw her, but I don't know her. She is pretty young (24) and did a respectable 2:44 on a tough day, crushing the 2nd place female by over 8 mins. I'd be surprised if she was a "regular" Ironman competitor since she is only 24.

Re: Columbus marathon smackdown [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I will be really nice and say that you and Erik are pretty pathetic... (how's this for smackdown talk? :-D)

yep I suck....for now

one day I will figure this out.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is the same Kristin Price. She ran track at NC State and was the 2002 NCAA Champion in the 10k.

http://www.fast-women.com/...ws/kristinprice.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably true. I should have put the "regular ironman competitor" in quotes - it was their description, not mine.
Quote Reply