Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

chain noise
Quote | Reply
Should a chain be perfectly quiet when you ride? If it's making a perceptible sound on each downstroke, is that a derailleur adjustment issue, or what? It happens in all the gear configurations, it happens only on the downstroke. It's driving me buggy. My old, much less expensive bike was silent and smooth. This new pricey number is hissing at me. Any ideas? Thanks!

slo-mo

"One foot in front of the other."
Quote Reply
Re: chain noise [slo-mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you 100% sure it's the chain? I'm asking because sometimes it's very difficult to identify the exact cause of a noise coming from the bike.

It could be a rear derailleur adjustment issue. But since it only happens on the downstroke I would double check the chainring bolts. They could be lose, causing the chainrings to move while you apply force.

If it is a tri bike with bar end shifters I'd suggest taking it out of "click click" index shifting mode so you can fine tune the tension on the rear derailleur cable. See if that will take care of it. If it does, it's just an adjustment on the RD. Otherwise you'll know that this is not the issue.

How long ago did you get your new bike. Maybe your cables just stretched and you need a quick adjustment. Never adjust the index screw if shifting worked fine initially with the same wheel/casette. It's most likely just a cable tension problem.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: chain noise [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get this problem on my P3, I've changed the chain twice and still get a continous grinding noise. I've tried two Dura Ace and one Wiperman and they both make the noise. I'm starting to wonder if it's normal for 10 spd systems. Took it back to the shop as well but couldn't fix it either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a bit of the same problem. Got 2 bikes with new da. TT bike no problem. Road bike, even if they report rain 2 weeks ahead the chain start grinding on me.

My earlier 9 speed no problem. New 10 speed I think is a bit sensitive. Wash a lot and good oil have helped me. After 2 months it has actually become a bit better. But still not to happy. Have tried different mechanics changed chain and casette.

Can't stand doing long rides with this grinding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's usually not the chain itself that is noisey, unless it and/or the cassette are worn out. More likely it's a der. adjustment problem.

Is it quiet on the mid range rear cassette gears and louder at the low/high ends. If so, it's an adjustment problem.
Quote Reply
Re: chain noise [neptune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something's wrong. Take it to another shop. Drivetrain should be very quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check the lubrication on your pedals. For example, if you have Speedplays and they spin freely by hand, they are lacking lubrication and can make noise under load.

Bob Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chain is dry. Lube it.

Twenty-five years and my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill
of hope
For a destination
Quote Reply