Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running frequency- cant do more than 4x a week!
Quote | Reply
Does anybody else have this problem...I have been running 40-45 miles a week in prep for some marathons but find that as long as I spread that out over 4 runs- no problem...but every time I try to add a fifth day I find my legs and hips are much more sore and mentally and physically I am much more drained...

thoughts? others with the same experience?

does it really matter if I do the mileage over 4 days instead of 5?
Quote Reply
Re: Running frequency- cant do more than 4x a week! [triisr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run on 3 days a week, any consecutive days and I really feel it. Still get 45 to 50 kms in
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i can only manage 4 also but the 4th is off the bike after my long ride. time constrained even if i want to.

when you did try to add the 5th run, did you start at an easy 20-30mins?

"Pain is NOT temporary,you remember every bit of it"
Quote Reply
Re: Running frequency- cant do more than 4x a week! [dennism] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My legs barely felt that they could handle 10 minutes...what I did was on sheer will power...during prep for the tri season and the actual season my 4th run is like yours- part of the brick...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triisr,

I'm kind of like this also. I rarely run more than 4 times a week. That said, if I were going to try to increase my frequency, I would probably start by dropping the distance on most of the runs, and make up the difference on the 5th. Are you having more trouble running 2 days in a row? Or are you trying to go 3 days in a row and give yourself 2 straight days of recovery? On your off days, are you cross-training or resting?

Here is another idea that is sort of outside the box. You have relegated yourself to a 7 day training week. Perhaps looking at it from a different period could be the key for you. Maybe something like a 9 or 10 day or a cycle might work better.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Are you trying to do, say, 4 - 10s and are trying to add a 5th run? How about cutting one of your 10s to 5 miles and then see if you can come back and run another 5 miler the next day. Start from there and build up.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many times = "every time I try"?

If it was like twice, or something low like that, then try again. If you're running 40mpw, you can run 7 days.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Does anybody else have this problem...I have been running 40-45 miles a week in prep for some marathons but find that as long as I spread that out over 4 runs- no problem...but every time I try to add a fifth day I find my legs and hips are much more sore and mentally and physically I am much more drained...

thoughts? others with the same experience?

does it really matter if I do the mileage over 4 days instead of 5?

Try dropping the mileage a bit and just getting used to running 5 days a week. 4 x 11 miles will probably put more stress on your body that 5 x 9 miles. For some reason it is always the couple of extra miles that can make a workout take a longer time to recover from.

What surfaces do you run on? All pavement? Try mixing in some softer surfaces.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Quote Reply