Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITB syndrome in a nutshell?
Quote | Reply
Having never, thankfully, suffered from this I can't speak of it firsthand..but a friend recently asked me about it since her doctor claim she now suffers from it. She was curious to know everything about the pain that might keep her from her second half marathon. Can anyone sum it up for me? Is it overuse, poor form, muscle imbalance...need something to take back to give her something..doctor wasn't too helpful (guess they think..in my case they'd be right huh..lol..we're all medical morons).
Quote Reply
Re: ITB syndrome in a nutshell? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but I had ITBS a few years back. The way is was explained to me is that there is not necessarily one cause. It can definitely be an overtraining injury, but muscle imbalance often plays a role, as does the surface one runs on. Running on streets/paths which slope significantly can put additional stress on the outside of the leg (the "lower" leg on the slope), which pulls on the ITB. Some folks with ITBS recovery pretty quickly from just resting the injury, and maybe some ice and ibuprofen. A lot of folks (like me) needed to add a stretching regimen (overall stretching of the legs as well as specifically the ITB) and strength training for the legs. Use of a foam roller to stretch the ITB worked great for me, as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have your friend read this:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/...2_00/fredericson.htm

I found it very helpful in healing my ITB problem two years ago.

Cheers,

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article sums it up nicely:

"ITBS is believed to result from recurrent friction of the iliotibial band (ITB) sliding over the lateral femoral epicondyle."

Very good link.

Every step we take this happens. Running is worse than walking: You plant your foot and the rest of your body moves forward while your foot is planted and you twist. Addressing the "imbalance," If everyone ran the same direction on a track and that was all they did, most would eventually get ITBS. Same for running on canted roads in one direction ... I fight this injury when I get into the land of 40+ mpw and 2-hr runs on pavement. Everyone is different: Some lucky people will never get ITBS despite 100 mpw, some get it from biking not-too-high mileage.

I just back off. Never had to stop running for more than 2-3 weeks yet. Running "through" this injury doesn't work, I can tell you that. But I can cycle all I want when I am hurt, thankfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it overuse, poor form, muscle imbalance

It could be all of these, any of them, or none of them. IT Band can have many root causes. Trying to chase down the specific cause can be tricky. The reality is that she will need to work with someone (a PT, Chiropractor) and be patient. Start with the obvious, rest, ice, anti-inflammatories. ART has been helpful for me for short term and maintenance. But I have really had to address some of the biomechanical issues for long term success.

I hope this helps.

Bernie

Re: ITB syndrome in a nutshell? [slowbern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once again I agree with slobern. With the one exception that you need to do some strenght training to correct whatever it is that may be causing the problem.

Gary, BS, CSCS, USAT II, USAC III, USATF I
http://www.tothemaxfit.com
http://www.fitnessredefined.com
"Only those that have gone too far, know how far they can go"
Quote Reply