Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravity Inversion Table
Quote | Reply
Anyone use a gravity inversion table or boots for relaxation, spinal decompression, etc.? Anyone familiar with the research literature on whether there are health risks associated with the use of a gravity inversion table/boots (e.g., ocular pressure)? I couldn't find much infor. during a web search.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravity Inversion Table [TheBorg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a few sessions with both the table and boots, and I tried a hip-supported swing as well. For me, the best was the table -- the boots just put too much stress on the knee and hip connective tissues for me. The hip-supported swing was nice, but just didn't have the same relaxing benefit to me (though it does take any leg length discrepancies out of the equation).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, back when I was grooving on my lava lamp the first time...and getting chicks to do bongs...I think that was a fad that pretty much ran its course....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a gravity inversion table for three years now and have found it to be very beneficial. I especially find it useful to relax my back after long bike rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of inversion boots that I use hooked to a chin up bar, for Rambo style inverted situps :-). I'll hang there after the sit ups are done and feel the blood rush to my head and the joints decompress. Come to think of it, I might just head down to the basement and do some joint decompression. Don't know if they have any value, but my head feels clear after all the blood rushes there and the joints do feel less "compressed".

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was exploring the idea a few weeks ago and ran across a few articles (medical studies) that said there were no benefits and perhaps a few hazards for people with particular conditions. Of course, wouldn't you know it, I can't seem to find those articles now.

The closest I could come was this link to WebMD.

http://www.webmd.com/...article/74/89376.htm

It is very brief...and the link at the bottom is equally brief and not overwhelming on sources. I know the sources are out there somewhere, but I simply can't find them at the moment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The following link has some reference citations toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.backandbodysolutions.com/inversion.html

I was looking into inversion tables a month or so ago. It appears that a 12 - 20% inversion could be beneficial.
Last edited by: gc: Oct 10, 06 23:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It turned Richard Gere's hair gray ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gravity Inversion Table [gc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there any positive reports posted/published by companies that aren't selling the machines?

I couldn't find any, which is why I ask. The only seemingly independent studys/information I can find are all highly skeptical of these devices. I just wish I could find that original study I came across 1-2 weeks back.

These are the best I can find...

http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic200.htm

http://www.chiroview.net/chapter_12.htm

Basically, all of these articles say the same thing. There isn't any proof that this technique works or that if it does the effects are lasting. Since there are downsides/risks, it may not be the wisest course of treatment.
Last edited by: CY TRI: Oct 11, 06 0:12
Quote Reply
Re: Gravity Inversion Table [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you will find a "company" that publishes unbiasd reports about any of their products. However I believe that if you dig for the research in the medical journals you will find lots of information (pro and con).

My line of research would be to dig up the following

Anderson, Schultz, and Nachemson (1968) of intervertebral disc pressures during traction demonstrated by radiographic studies concluded that disc space increases in height and lumbar disc protrusion can be reduced during traction. Myelographic evidence of disc herniation was found to disappear after traction.

Sheffield, F., Adaptation of Tilt Table for Lumbar Traction, Arch Phys Med Rehabil 45, 469-472, 1964

Nosse, L., Inverted Spinal Traction, Arch Phys Med Rehabil 59, 367-370, Aug 78

Cyriax, J., The treatment of lumbar disc lesions, British Medical Journal, Dec 50, 1434-1438

McElhannon, J.E., Physio-therapeutic treatment of myofascial disorders, 1984

For the record I am not a doctor but I did have a shattered vertabrae fixed and have a nice titanium widget bolted to my spine.

I feel certain that if you use the above references and keywords in a real medical research databases you will find more real data. You are unlikely to find unbiased information on a site that sells equipment. Consider the references above as a start point in your enquiry.

I thought the information the site provided was presented in a balanced way and did provide some references to medical studies. I was perticularly intrigued by the 12-20% angle as being the recomended use. The general perception I had was that you strapped your ankles in and went vertical. In my case that seemed like an unwise move, even though it has been six years since my accident and surgery.

I suppose a quick and free test to see if an inversion table would work would be to find a 10-20% grassy slope and simply lie down on your back with your head on the downslope feet on the upslope. Be sure to pick a nice day with lots of fluffy clouds. Of course if you are having back problems then getting into that position would be a task. Which i suppose is the point of inversion tables ;)
Last edited by: gc: Oct 11, 06 1:10
Quote Reply
Re: Gravity Inversion Table [gc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
I feel certain that if you use the above references and keywords in a real medical research databases you will find more real data. You are unlikely to find unbiased information on a site that sells equipment. Consider the references above as a start point in your enquiry.
I suppose a quick and free test to see if an inversion table would work would be to find a 10-20% grassy slope and simply lie down on your back with your head on the downslope feet on the upslope. Be sure to pick a nice day with lots of fluffy clouds. [/reply]

ummm...that's what I've been doing (aka search). All the threads I have found (WebMD, Emedicine, and a few minor chiro books) suggest there is no proven benefit. (see my links) The only threads that do find that say there is a benefit are selling the machines, which as you point out may put their credibility in question.

as for the slope idea...isn't the idea of inversion therapy to let gravity expand your elongate your spine slightly? it would seem just lying flat on the ground, slope or no, woudn't produce this affect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use one. I have been using it a few times/week over the past few months and, for me, I feel it makes a difference. I have bulging discs @ L4/L5/L5/S1. The literature is mixed.

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Gravity Inversion Table [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cy,

I think lying on the sloped ground (10-20% grade) would equate nicely to lying on a sloped table (10-20%) in both instances you are on a firm surface with head down feet up. You just need to figure a method of locking your feet into position.

from the website I linked to

"Most people think you will get more benefit from inverting if you hang at a steeper angle or even totally upside down. After understanding how muscles really work and the principles of myofascial release, this proves that inverting at too steep an angle may actually cause your tissues to tighten up and fight against it.

It is best to start with a light angle of inversion but for a longer period of time"
Last edited by: gc: Oct 11, 06 9:05
Quote Reply